gs850 L motorcycle jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850 L motorcycle jack?

Will buying a motor cycle jack be useful for casual maintenance of gs850 L? Look like the pipes would be in the way. Would the pipes need to be removed to use a jack? Do I even need a jack?

If you are speaking of the ones that go under the engine/frame, yes, the pipes will get in the way.

Comment

I have one from HF and just had to place some pieces of 2x4s between space between pipes across frame of jack, on oil pan and worked fine, just be sure to strap it down asap once it's up. It is helpful to have second person to help keep stable while raising, although didn't really need, but made me feel better. terrylee

Comment

I use a car jack and a chunk of 2x4

Comment

If you still have your center stand I think the cost will outweigh the benefit.
          I have one that I use but I no longer have a center stand.
          To remove the rear tire , front, lubricate chain, or even take off shocks or swing-arm, the center stand was fine.
          Now if I was replacing/rebuilding the front end, or doing a full tear-down I would prefer the bike jack.
          I will say though it is also nice to bring the bike up to a more comfortable position to wrench on a lot of things though you will need a very short stool.
          If you do alot of work then yes, go ahead and spend the bill.

Comment

I'm with Crankthat. A jack isn't super useful on bikes with center stands. If I need to get to the front wheel, I just jack up the front and place a jack stand under each engine guard bar thingy.

Now if you mean one of those large hydraulic stands that you wheel the bike onto and then hoist up, yeah, those would be useful when rebuilding a bike. But not at all necessary for ordinary maintenance.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I think for now I will just work with the center stand and a small car jack to prop the front up for front tire work. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

For typical work the center stand does everything you need; if you are taking everything (wheels, forks, engine) off the bike, a jack is nice to hold it.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                X