Clear All

Bike not running well, triage needed

82 GS1100G

here is the background:

Early last summer:
    replaced bad ignitor
    installed dyna green coils
    carbs rebuilt per the guide here, float heights set correctly
    carbs seated in boots, new intake manifold o-rings and bolts, torque is correct
    stock/oem airbox rebuilt with foam seals and filter, and while not new, it's clean enough for the moment to avoid air issues
    spark on all 4 plugs
    fuel coming from all 4 carb float bowl drain plugs when the plugs are loosened

bike fired right up - carb sync was close enough that the bike idled ok, a bit of a stumble when throttle was blipped but no big deal, on the right track. Would have been rideable without issue.

bike sat and battery drained pretty quickly, other parts of life took over and I let the project languish for the winter thinking that I needed to address a short in the R/R

Got back into it last month, want to ride:

Installed new battery and new duaneage honda R/R

Went to fire bike up. No go. Shot of ether into #1, bike fires and runs but runs like total garbage, requires 1/2 choke or more to keep going. Won't idle, like it's running on 2 cyl. So I'm thinking carbs/fuel, or flipped coils (2-3 firing when 1-4 is signaled). Coils are correct 2-3 signal connected to 2-3 coil. Flip coils to see if problem changes because of bad coil, no impact

Pull carbs, go through them again. Some mung in the bottom of the bowls from sitting but nothing anywhere near approaching "OMG look at this crap", all jets clear. But I soak everything and go through the rebuild again.

started on setting valve gap, but only have current shim sizes so far and no metric feeler gauge to figure out what shims I need.

compression is not great, but the bike hasn't been really run in ages and valve gap not set. between 90 and 120 across all 4. valves are "close enough" for the moment given the compression I'd think. Plus it ran before with no valve train changes since then

battery full charge

reinstall carbs, airbox, fuel tank, new fuel, confirm fuel in all 4 bowls.

Same problem, runs like crap, requires choke to stay alive. stumbles hard, unridable, won't idle

thoughts?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM.

If it was my bike I would get the valves gapped,double ck the carbs are clean and ride the bastard hard if possible.Need to run bikes and cars,sitting is bad.
    Then see where you are at.Good luck.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

"......same problem, runs like crap, requires choke to stay alive. stumbles hard, unridable, won't idle"

Your idle circuit passages are clogged- the jets can be wide open but the internal passages (that you can't see) are gunked up from winter sitting. Did you dip them???
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Your idle circuit passages are clogged- the jets can be wide open but the internal passages (that you can't see) are gunked up from winter sitting. Did you dip them???
        yes, and blew them out with compressed air, but I'll check them again

Comment

I see two flags being raised here.
          Originally posted by miked View Post
          ..., other parts of life took over and I let the project languish for the winter ... Got back into it last month, want to ride:

started on setting valve gap, but only have current shim sizes so far and no metric feeler gauge to figure out what shims I need.
          To address the first issue, you need to do a full "strip-and-dip" carb cleaning. (<-- click the link)

To address the second issue, you don't really "need" metric feelers to do the job. A 0.0015" feeler is usually the thinnest in an INCH set, it is VERY close to the desired minimum. A 0.003" feeler is similarly close to the maximum clearance. You can do a valve adjustment (don't forget to order a gasket) while waiting for the carbs in the dip.

Yes, the carb "dip" process is not quick. You will leave each carb in the dip for about 24 hours, so it will take several days to do the whole job.

One other tool that is useful for a valve adjustment is in my signature.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

@Steve, did the intensive strip and dip last winter, last time was just a quickie though, will go back through an intensive again dotting i's and crossing t's

Have your spreadsheet, good stuff. Used thick weedwacker string vs zipties to get the current valve shims out and documented. I have a std feeler gauge, I'll have a look at some of the clearances while the carbs are soaking

Feeling like this is a carb issue vs something else, so I'm trying to be sure that I'm chasing the right problem. Anybody disagree?

Comment

FYI TIP...

Take the basket out and 2 carb bodies will fit in the can side by side. gets all 4 done in two dipping sessions. You can add a few bowls in as space will permit once the bodies are in if you wish.

Bowls will easily clean up with some carb spray and a green dish scrubbie though. Make sure you spray the scrubbie and not into the bowls..it will spray back into your face!!!!
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll go ya one better, Chuck.

I have two cans of dip.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by miked View Post
                  Used thick weedwacker string vs zipties to get the current valve shims out and documented.
                  Was that a single strand or was it folded?

If it was just a single strand, you stand a chance of pinching off the end and leaving it in the cylinder.

Using a folded zip-tie (or maybe a folded weedwhacker string) reduces the chance of leaving anything behind.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve...I am ghetto rich. Which mean I can only afford 1 can of dip at a time...HA HA.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Was that a single strand or was it folded?
                      folded, worked better than the huge ziptie that I didn't have. Small ziptie I had, but wouldn't drop bucket enough to get shim out past cam lobe.

Comment

I think you covered this, but just to make sure. Is fuel flowing from the petcock and the fuel lines are clear? I have seen and done lots of tail chasing only for there to a hair ball in a fuel line.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
                          I think you covered this, but just to make sure. Is fuel flowing from the petcock and the fuel lines are clear? I have seen and done lots of tail chasing only for there to a hair ball in a fuel line.
                          The fuel line is not clear, OEM black rubber. Fuel line was verified clear of obstructions when I pulled the carbs the 2nd time.

But I loosen the carb bowl drain plugs enough to allow fuel to dribble out. Fuel wants to pour out if I loosen the drain plugs any further. I don't think it's a petcock starvation issue
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Its not a starvation issue as far as getting fuel to the crabs is concerned. The fuel starvation we are talking about is in getting the fuel to flow THRU the carbs. TO and THRU are worlds apart.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Its not a starvation issue as far as getting fuel to the crabs is concerned. The fuel starvation we are talking about is in getting the fuel to flow THRU the carbs. TO and THRU are worlds apart.
                              agree - @Tom203 pointed out above the problem in the idle/pilot circuit, so I'm re-dipping the carbs to make sure flow is thru all the circuits. Digging in on that tonight

I read @subforry as making sure that fuel was getting TO and responded with that in mind

Comment

Working...
                              X