Center stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center stand

I have a 79 GS1000L that just, like out of the blue, started sagging the center stand. Never heard of a spring suddenly get tired?? Anyone replace this? To me it looks simple enough but then again....

Yes, the spring gets tired. About $6-7 at the dealer. Slip old one off, new one on, ride on.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      Yes, the spring gets tired. About $6-7 at the dealer. Slip old one off, new one on, ride on.
      ummmm....I'd like to see your version of "slip old one off, new one on". Putting the centre stand on one of these bikes is one of the more 'pain in the tush' jobs I can think of. At least when the bike is all together.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I do believe he was talking about slipping the spring on and off.

Not that hard of a job, if you have the proper tools.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Coins and washers.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I do believe he was talking about slipping the spring on and off.

Not that hard of a job, if you have the proper tools.

What he said. We were discussing a tired, stretched centerstand spring that was allowing the centerstand to sag.
            thanks, Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              ummmm....I'd like to see your version of "slip old one off, new one on". Putting the centre stand on one of these bikes is one of the more 'pain in the tush' jobs I can think of. At least when the bike is all together.
              With the bike on the side stand, take the pivot bolts out of the center stand, spring comes off easy, reverse the step and yer done. Couldn't be any easier.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I had a fella's bike in the drive way to put a centre stand on it as it didn't have one. I put the sping on first then attempted to install the pivot bolts, arrrrrrr....can't remember how I finally managed to install it but I remember some colourful language and far too much time spent.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                X