Longer kickstand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer kickstand

I want to put a slightly longer kickstand on my 450. Is there anything I need to know to make this painless?

Maybe one from a larger GS will fit and give you the added length,Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
      I want to put a slightly longer kickstand on my 450. Is there anything I need to know to make this painless?

Tamara,

Is it possible add and fit a piece of rubber tire to the bottom kickstand to give you a bit more height. Another option would be to pick up a used one or yours and alter it by welding on a something.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by harley10 View Post
        Maybe one from a larger GS will fit and give you the added length,Brian
        I was thinking that. My friend's 1100 is in my garage right now and his kickstand is almost 2" longer than mine. I have to take a closer look and see if they both attach the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
          Tamara,

Is it possible add and fit a piece of rubber tire to the bottom kickstand to give you a bit more height. Another option would be to pick up a used one or yours and alter it by welding on a something.

cg
          Charlie,

A chunk of rubber, shaped and attached to the foot might do the trick. I've been carrying a little block of wood to compensate and sliding it under the kickstand when I park. With the old shocks, I didn't have a problem with standing it up from the side stand. The new shocks give a little additional height and my short legs don't have enough leverage to stand it up.

Comment

I have a few hanging around measure to see how long of one you need,Brian

Comment

You should look to see if the sidestand pivot is worn, sometimes it's the frame part, but usually it's the part on the sidestand itself. If this gets loose the bike leans over a lot farther, and they rarely if ever get cleaned or greased, most all of them have some degree of wear.
              Put the bike on the centerstand, extend the sidestand. If you can move the sidestand up and down very far it's worn.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

bwringer attached something that looks somewhat like a hockey puck on his VStrom. Not the most artistic solution, but it does work. I need one also.

Comment

Word of caution, you don't want the bike sitting on a side stand too up right. You need that angle, so it isn't easily pushed over. Had a friend do that to his bike, it was to straight up and didn't take much to topple over.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    You should look to see if the sidestand pivot is worn, sometimes it's the frame part, but usually it's the part on the sidestand itself. If this gets loose the bike leans over a lot farther, and they rarely if ever get cleaned or greased, most all of them have some degree of wear.
                    Put the bike on the centerstand, extend the sidestand. If you can move the sidestand up and down very far it's worn.
                    I'll have hubby put it up on the center stand for me and take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      bwringer attached something that looks somewhat like a hockey puck on his VStrom. Not the most artistic solution, but it does work. I need one also.
                      I'd need a step ladder to get on a VStrom . My current temporary solution is a piece of string tied around a little block until I find a more permanent one.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        Word of caution, you don't want the bike sitting on a side stand too up right. You need that angle, so it isn't easily pushed over. Had a friend do that to his bike, it was to straight up and didn't take much to topple over.
                        Mine is at quite an angle on the side stand. I've been using a little 1/2" thick block to lessen the angle so I can get it upright when it's parked.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                          I'd need a step ladder to get on a VStrom .
                          That is funny. I was just giving an example. I need to do something about mine as well, but the hockey puck is just a bit too jerry-rigged for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            That is funny. I was just giving an example. I need to do something about mine as well, but the hockey puck is just a bit too jerry-rigged for my taste.
                            The hockey puck doesn't work for me either . I have a friend who'd love a VStrom so we were looking at them the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Good answer. I just checked mine and it has way too much play. Removed it and examined the inside of the ears. It looks like this one The surface above the bolt (farthest from the stand itself) is worn, the closer to the edge the more worn it is. I tried squeezing it together in a vice, no dice. Unfortunately, it is NLA. Lots of them on eBay, but no assurance they won't be worn as well.
                              On the plus side, they put the same stand on lots of models, so I can probably filter through them, or find someone on KZRider that will guarantee theirs.
                              I wonder if that could be welded up and then ground down to be a flat surface again?

Comment

Working...
                              X