Valve adjustment done - finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment done - finally

Finally finished adjusting my valves. Easy job really, except for one thing. Removing all of the old gasket was a pita. What are your thoughts on coating the new gasket so this is easier next time? Graphite anti-sieze, grease, vaseline, WD-40? I've heard of people using all of the above, which is best?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

a thin smear of any of the above will work ok, except WD40, not a good idea.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi,

Yes, buy using plain old axle grease on your OEM valve cover gasket, it should last for at least 2 or 3 checks if you're careful. For the 850s I also like the Real Gaskets, but those are a little finicky. They will last for years of checks if properly cared for.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wait...coating the gasket with grease is recommended? I'm on it!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          a thin smear of any of the above will work ok, except WD40, not a good idea.
          Funny I've read here WD40 IS good,so often that's what I used on the 1000's valve cover gasket.Time will tell I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            For the 850s I also like the Real Gaskets, but those are a little finicky. They will last for years of checks if properly cared for.
            I've read that the Real Gaskets can have issues with squishing out if torqued a little too tight. Is this what you're referring to as "finicky"? It's one of the reasons I went with a stock gasket instead.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              Funny I've read here WD40 IS good,so often that's what I used on the 1000's valve cover gasket.Time will tell I guess.
              His it been coming off OK eah time?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Have used WD40 on OEM VC gasket. Off and on twice now with no issues. Third time's the charm i suppose
                '80 GS1000ST
                '92 ZX-11
                Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

I used WD40 the last time, came off perfectly. This time, anti-sieze.
                  NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                  Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                  X