Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing handgrip?

Howdy folks.

I'm in the process of replacing my L handlebars with Daytona bars. Is there a trick to removing the left handgrip? Spit and twisting?

Cheers

I used the straw that comes on the cans of spray silicone, or wd40, and squirted it between the rubber and the bar, pushed in as far as I could get it, a few different spots a twist and off they come....

Comment

I use the air nozzle from my air compressor...shoot compressed air under the grip and slide it off...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Nice ideas. I wound up sitting on the bike, turning the bars and pulling on the grip with two hands. Worked great pulling in the right direction and not messing with the bars twisting side to side.

Comment

and when you put them back on, a bit of hairspray on the tube will allow them to slide on and once dry they will stick like there's no tomorrow.....

Comment

These are some dang fine idea's. Thanks everyone. All that time struggling and I could have just turning my air compressor on, and I'm going to pull off a couple of grips tomorrow and spray some hairspray in. Fantastic!
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
              and when you put them back on, a bit of hairspray on the tube will allow them to slide on and once dry they will stick like there's no tomorrow.....

Until it rains and you pull on the grip going around a corner. POP!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I take a small screwdriver and run it between the grip and bar in several places to break the grip glues hold. Some PB inn there and twist off. To reapply the dealer trick...spray paint and slide the grip on.

Paint dries and hold them secure but can easily be taken off as compared to grip glue!!
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Until it rains and you pull on the grip going around a corner. POP!
                  never heard of this....

then again you get water in there at anytime and you could have the same POP......

Comment

I wonder if the hairspray would wick the water into the crevice. It dries as crystals, I think, and water will climb a crystal lattice from capillary action.
                    I just used plain spit to get it on. Went on easy as pie. I hope it sticks once the spit dries.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      I use the air nozzle from my air compressor...shoot compressed air under the grip and slide it off...
                      I second the air nozzle, blows up like a balloon and slide right off .
                      Last edited by hjfisk; 08-19-2013, 06:48 AM.
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                        never heard of this....

then again you get water in there at anytime and you could have the same POP......

Never had a grip pop off until I used hairspray. Except the one time, hit oil at speed and fell down instantly, was looking all over for the grip which was missing. Finally found it, in my hand.

That one may have been hairsprayed on too.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Never had a grip pop off until I used hairspray. Except the one time, hit oil at speed and fell down instantly, was looking all over for the grip which was missing. Finally found it, in my hand.

That one may have been hairsprayed on too.
                          Interesting....

OK

never mind the hairspray....

use some paint, no matter what color, while wet, slide on grip, let dry...

should be good to go...

Comment

Never heard of using paint. Chuck, doesn't that make it impossible to remove without ruining the grip?

Comment

Tom..actually the grip will come off easier than with grip glue should you wish to remove it.

The paint dries and it sticks then grip , but its not as violent as grip glue is.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X