Oil Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Light

So I just took my bike out for a quick 30 minute ride. Mostly back highways 55-60mph, though I jumped on the expressway and was doing 70-75 for a bit.

When I got home and turned the bike off the oil light turned on. It wasn't on until I turned the bike off. Is that light for the oil pressure, oil temp? What should I be looking at?

Thanks!
    Marc

That switch senses pressure; if no pressure (motor off) bulb lights with ignition switch "on". With ignition "off" , bulb can't light -if it does, you have wiring snafu- head to Basscliff's for color wiring diagram.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
      When I got home and turned the bike off the oil light turned on.
      Marc
      How did you turn it off ? Kill switch or main key switch. If you used the kill it's normal for it to light up. If you used the key you have a live supply remaining on the pressure switch which at a guess is an internal short in the key barrel.
      Depending on model a short like that would also leave horns and brake switches live. Do any of these still work after key shut down?
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Let me rephrase the question. Is the oil light SUPPOSED to be on when you first turn on the bike, but before you start it?

As soon as I start the bike the light goes off.

If I turn the key off, everything is off. Sorry if that was misleading before. I turned off the engine with the kill switch. That's how I was taught in MSF class.

Comment

Yes. If the key is on, but the bike isn't running, it's normal for the light to be ON.

Comment

Yes, it tells you two things. firstly the bulb is working and second you have no oil pressure which is not going to shock you if the motor is stopped.
            As soon as you fire up it should go out.
            Turning off with the kill is fine and kinda puts you back to where you were just before you fired up. Your bulb is working and you have no oil pressure.
            The only dumb questions are the ones we don't ask but should have. It's real easy to think you get your phrasing wrong on the interweb especially on a place as ambitious as this site covering the globe. I wouldn't get to concerned about being misunderstood , most folks can see where you're trying to go or will in turn misunderstand it in their own way
            Babel, a tale for our times.
            Last edited by Brendan W; 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

OK sounds like nothing is wrong with the bike (other than a possibly iffy connection on the oil light). It was just the first time I've seen this. Guess a bump or two must have jarred loose some corrosion.

Comment

The oil pressure switch contains a metal plunger that sits down on top of the engine oil feed port in the crankcase. With the plunger in contact with the port, current flows and the oil light illuminates. When the engine is started oil flow pushes the spring loaded plunger out of the way and the lights ground path becomes interrupted and the light goes out. Calling the switch an "oil pressure" switch is sort of a misnomer, it's more of an oil FLOW switch since it doesn't sense pressure at all.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  The oil pressure switch contains a metal plunger that sits down on top of the engine oil feed port in the crankcase. With the plunger in contact with the port, current flows and the oil light illuminates. When the engine is started oil flow pushes the spring loaded plunger out of the way and the lights ground path becomes interrupted and the light goes out. Calling the switch an "oil pressure" switch is sort of a misnomer, it's more of an oil FLOW switch since it doesn't sense pressure at all.
                  Thanks, this helps. I bet when I cleaned the carbs earlier this year I bumped the wire. It was a bit grungy under that. I didn't specifically clean that connection, but I think I will now to just be extra certain the issue is resolved. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X