Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Preservation !

Hi all,
    how do i best mentain/preserve my battery over the long cold winter months when my bikes will be garaged and not on the road ?
    what i had in mind was, removing the battery,check it for water, set it on wood or polystyerene but NOT concrete, connecting it to a trickle charger of 300/500 ma and keeping it at room temperatures "warm"
    anything iv missed or any better/other ideas ?

thanks in advance,

get one of these

they actually have them in your part of the world....

I have the Canadian version of this one - MXS 3.6

you can leave the battery in the bike, plug in the unit and forget about it until spring...

Comment

Sounds like you have it covered. If you don't have a charger already, I recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000CITK8S

Be aware that there is a difference between a "dumb" charger and a maintainer... a bog-standard charger will provide a constant charging voltage all the time while a maintainer will check the battery from time to time so that it can charge the battery when it needs it and stop charging when it's full.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Like this?

Comment

Battery Preservation !

Or this? This is what I use everytime I park the bike up after a trip and until the next time it's out again, please note the permanent connection to the battery, top.

Comment

I don't know, I get six to eight years out of old lead acid batteries and never use a trickle charger. I think they last longer just charging them up every month or so. Bring it indoors, keep it full of water, charge it a few hours every once in a while.

But really, lead acid batteries are for cave men. Get rid of that crap.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Battery Preservation !

What about this for long term storage? With the battery removed and placed on wood, with a trickle charger on 24/7.

Mottobatt is a German make and are quite expensive, although this one was made in China.

Is the battery o.k on the rubber mat at the bottom of the battery box or would it be better for the rubber mat to be removed?

"But really, lead acid batteries are for cave men. Get rid of that crap."

I've used Varta, Yuasa "made in china" and lots of others all lead acid, What would you recommand?
              Last edited by Chromedome; 09-14-2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromedome View Post
                [ATTACH]20562[/ATTACH]

What about this for long term storage? With the battery removed and placed on wood, with a trickle charger on 24/7.

Mottobatt is a German make and are quite expensive, although this one was made in China.

Is the battery o.k on the rubber mat at the bottom of the battery box or would it be better for the rubber mat to be removed?
                When the acid fumes come out, they get all over your bike. That's the reason for pulling it out. It has nothing to do with the battery itself.

You don't need the battery charged up 100% all winter long, if you are going to ride one day give it a quick little zap then ride. Keeping it on a maintainer all winter hurts the battery long term. I don't know why but it seems to. I quit using them a long time ago, and quit buying batteries at about the same time. Just my personal opinion, I'm no battery engineer, but my batteries last a long time. And they sit idle a month or so at a time, all year, not just in winter.

Comment

But really, lead acid batteries are for cave men. Get rid of that crap.
                  whats best? Gel?

Comment

A cool non-freezing place
                    not just a short story by Hemingway but a great place to store a battery

I do not put my batteries on tenders waste of time and money.

Comment

I've had a AGM battery for the last 2+ years. they are still heavy. No experience with Lith. ion, there very light weight.

Comment

Originally posted by jona View Post
                        I've had a AGM battery for the last 2+ years. they are still heavy. No experience with Lith. ion, there very light weight.
                        In a 600-pound bike, does it really help to save about 5 pounds of battery weight?

Keep in mind that lithium batteries really prefer different charging parameters than our bikes are willing (or able) to provide.

I know there are some that swear by those batteries, but after reading some of the horror stories of the first-generation lithium batteries, I am willing to just sit back and watch.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Chromedome View Post
                          Hi all,
                          , set it on wood or polystyerene but NOT concrete,

thanks in advance,
                          That's a myth that started in reality long long ago

Get the premium .com domain you deserve. Seamless and professional transactions. Payment plans available.

Well, is it true? Will a battery be damaged or discharged by letting it sit on concrete? NO!
                          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                          80 gs1000s

Comment

Ever lie down on concrete for a while? It really does suck the life out of you. I'm sure a battery feels the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Ever lie down on concrete for a while? It really does suck the life out of you. I'm sure a battery feels the same way.
                              You may be right Grandpa...
                              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                              80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                              X