Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, new(to me) 79 gs750

Not running, where do I start?

It's been tinkered with for sure, not sure what's stock and what's not although after days of reading here, it's becoming more obvious.

Got it cheap, 400$ and have wanted for years to learn a few things about older engines, etc, what better way then do it myself, right.?

I've been on bike cliffs site many times but so much info and not knowing what I actually have exactly, don't know where to start,???? Help, direction, experts?

Doing it yourself is probably the only way! Basscliff's site can be overwhelming but there's lots to do if you want a reliable bike, rather than a neglected castaway. Have you noticed this link - bwringer's comments?

Assume the worst about previous maintenance- it's a step by step process to sort out the issues.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You can start pretty much anywhere you like, but most folks start with cleaning the carbs.

From there you can clean/inspect/repair the electrical system, do a fluid swap, rebuild the brakes, do a valve clearance adjustment, and then the rest of the rather considerable amount of maintenance your old bike needs to get caught up on.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Start with posting your location. There are probably members here in your neighborhood with experience that would be happy to steer you in the right direction. We do it all the time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          There are probably members here in your neighborhood with experience that would be happy to steer you in the right direction.
          Yep, sometimes we "steer you in the right direction", other times we just tell you where to go.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Change the oil and try to fire it up. That's what I do(most of the time)
            Prolly wont run, or it will run like crap if its been sitting for a while.

Do you know any history on the bike? Sitting for a while? Broke down?
            Stuff like that.

Got any pics?!!
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

In Myrtle Beach, SC... Anyone close by?

Comment

Any where to get original bolts or at least newer versions of the metric? I'm almost certain it's a cluster assortment of metric and sae bolts all over this bike. Ughhh

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                  Change the oil and try to fire it up. That's what I do(most of the time)
                  Prolly wont run, or it will run like crap if its been sitting for a while.

Do you know any history on the bike? Sitting for a while? Broke down?
                  Stuff like that.

Got any pics?!!
                  Changed the oil, looked black as melted dark chocolate. I'm pretty sure it'll fire up but as I was about to of just that, leaked gas all over under the number 4 carb.... Quit immediately, although I'm pretty sure it would have fired up. Yanked the VM carb off and started reading ever since, couple days ago...

Comment

You can buy bolt sets from Z1, Fastenal, or even cycleorings.com but some of us usually hit the local hardware shops like Ace.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      You can buy bolt sets from Z1, Fastenal, or even cycleorings.com but some of us usually hit the local hardware shops like Ace.
                      Hmmm, good idea... I'll try locally first. Didn't even think about it.... Lol

Comment

There are usually metric fastener supply houses in larger cities, not so sure about a place like Myrtle Beach. All of it is available on line.

You may need some metric taps and dies as well.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Make sure the engine turns by hand before trying to start it.

Comment

Working...
                          X