How to shop for a motorcycle battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to shop for a motorcycle battery

I just bought a '79 GS850 that's been sitting outside for a while. When i got it to my garage, I found out it didn't have a battery.

Normally, with my car, I just go out and try to find the cheapest battery available, usually from a battery exchange or something. I just noticed there are a couple different kinds of batteries for bikes.

Are the more expensive ones better? What are the real differences? How do you shop for a motorcycle battery?

I found this: http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...0cc-gs850g-gl/

1) if you're not sure if you'll keep the bike get the cheapest ~$35 at Walmart. Tend to last about 2 years (outliers on longevity in either direction exist)

2) if you think you'll keep the bike (and not sure of charging system which is typically bad) consider a lifetime warranty battery ~$80 http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/P.../p/36686_47076

3) If you're a battery geek get into esoteric batteries AGM, LI Ion, etc. $100 - $300 (but I'm guessing you're not a battery geek if you're asking this practical question)
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

AGM is the best for your buck.
      i bought a big azz battery for my polish motorcycle for 53 bucks with free shipping.
      vented batteries are a thing of the past...look at the damage they have already done to your bike and most other bikes on this planet.
      here....
      have a look............

Comment

Cheap - easy to find.
        Best - AGM. Also helps if you want to sell the bike, AGM lasts for many years.

Comment

Batteries and chargers for everything from motorcycles to cell phones. Low prices, big inventory, expert advice. Find your battery here!

Free shipping. It's my first AGM and so far, I'm very impressed.
          1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
          2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
          2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

just checked and chrome battery was 16 bucks cheaper than battery stuff for the same size AGM i bought for mine.

Comment

So does the brand of AGM battery matter?

Comment

ask yourself if you are one of those people that feel better paying more for a "known" brand....if so, then yes it matters.
                when you can buy an AGM for within 10 bucks of a vented paint eater...
                well you know the answer to that

Comment

Originally posted by giganticflying View Post
                  So does the brand of AGM battery matter?
                  Whatever AGM AutoZone sold me has been excellent. It even soaked up some overcharging to get another rider's bike home. Still using it, something like 4 years later.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Awesome. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Just go to Batteries Plus, they usually have one in stock and it has a guarantee
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Plus one for chrome battery on ebay. I have bought 3 from them.
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

AGM has been fantastic for me too. Although, before spending the cash on it you might want to verify that your changing system is healthy. I found decent prices on mine at www.partsnmore.com
                          1982 Suzuki GS650G - "Blackbird"
                          sigpic
                          Progressive Fork Springs; Gas piggyback shocks; Electrosport Stator; Dyna 3 Ohm Coils; Shindengen SH775 Series Regulator/Rectifier; Avon Road-Rider Tires; Salty Monk Front Brake Mod [CBR Aftermarket Rotors, Concours Calipers / Master Cylinder]; Steel brake lines
                          [Much Love to my wrenching Jedis: TheCafeKid, Steve, Dogma; without you, Bird's awesomeness would remain unrealized.]
                          http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...psef4f3ca6.jpg

Comment

Yellow ones are good
                            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by portdave View Post
                              Plus one for chrome battery on ebay. I have bought 3 from them.
                              buy straight from chrome and save $$$$$.
                              i saved 5-8 bucks and had it in 2 days.
                              happy happy happy

FYI
                              it's pretty easy folks to compare prices.
                              i have and chrome is the cheapest with free shipping and a good warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X