GS450 Speedometer Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Speedometer Replacement

A few months back I noticed that my speedometer needle started to jump around while riding. After a month or two, it just stopped working. I removed the speedo gauge and attempted to "troubleshoot" myself. Well, long story short I cracked the case and now I'm pretty sure I just need a new speedometer. I checked eBay and prices are a bit ridiculous... in the $100 range. I am willing to consider aftermarket at this point. What are my options?

Also, I plan to sell the bike in the spring and now I'm concerned how this is going to effect the sale. I have been keeping a maintenance log based on miles since I bought it (about 2000 miles ago), so I can prove mileage up to this point, but I'm not sure how that will look to a buyer. Anyone have experience with this?

The bike is a 1982 GS450.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2013, 11:15 PM.

I know theirs a thread and some info on the forum on how to take the gauges comepletely apart and repair them..I did mine when I got the bike in 2009...I had condensation and ended pulling them all apart cleaning the glass both sides,repainting the tach and speed needles and re-assembling them..tedious job but look like new when your done..use the search function and try "gauges".

JC
    1977 GS 750 "Black Betty"

Comment

Do you mean this post? http://www.thegsresources.com/garage...ide_gauges.htm

I used that approach and ended up cutting too close to the surface, basically causing the face plate to chip and crack along the outside.

I guess I'll just look for a used one on eBay that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, as aftermarket gauges seem to be just as pricey.

Comment

Their was a different post someplace..no cutting involved...simple screwdriver to carefully pry the rings away from the housings and press them back together....but yeah...aftermarket gauges are just as spendy as some used ones.

JC
        1977 GS 750 "Black Betty"

Comment

Working...
        X