Model identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model identification

I've picked up a GS400 with the chassis number GS400 - 72977 and the engine number GS400 - 77872. Australian Design Rules plate on the bike states it's Sept 1980 model but I've been trying to find some brake pads and other spares for this bike based on the 1980 GS400 and nothing fits. The Haynes manual also mentions GS400E, GS400T, UK models, US models, etc. What do I have? Can anyone shed some light on this machine?

How about some PICS?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Look through here and see if you can find one.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Here is the pic

Comment

If the plate says September 1980 then it is most likely a 1981 model. Just a thought.

Comment

also, Go here and find your bike

I can't find an 81, but I believe yours is very similar to the '79 there.

I believe you are better off with the Clymer manual on Bass-Cliff's site....
            Your motor appears to be a 4 valve.
            BUT The Haynes is pretty much for 8 valve GSX400 and GSX 250 motors. The "X" here,after GS is supposed to represent the 4 valves per cylinder.sum is 8valves on a two cylinder motor. This is the case as I understand it.
            (However, and this is where it gets confusing if it were a GS400TX the last X would mean 1981, while the T would mean Custom or Traditional...Also, many times they are both called GS 400's in parts books and such online, whether 4 or 8 valve sooo,

Square caps at the cam ends are 8 valve, round caps at cam ends , like yours, are 4 valve....if it helps, you would share a lot with the GS425 motor, I believe- it is a bored-out GS400.
            these rules work for a few years at least. Suzuki made a lot of models and seemed to almost provide different bikes for each country!
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM.

Comment

It is most certainly a 4 valve engine, 2 valves per cylinder. I do not believe it to be a T, however, because of the rear fender cowl. A T model would have a rounded chrome fender, that one does not.
              Your source does not list all models for all years, unfortunately.

Comment

looks identical to my 77GS400B from the drum brake to the round front brake pads. Mikuni CV carbs and the round cam end covers all identical to mine.

Comment

I think there's a few bits from other bikes in the mix. The rear signals appear to be from an 80 or 81 GS450E (like pete's,and on my '81 GSX400E)...both these bikes have the toaster tank.
                  koolaid kid has a good point per fender- I think I've seen that on an '89 450T recently

Comment

I agree, Gorminrider. Notice the rear turn signal is rectangular instead of round, and the cowl is in primer gray.
                    Is the front fender chrome? Another tell for a "T" model.

Comment

Yeah the front mud guard is chrome. I was working on the front disc brake and reading the workshop manual it said that models up to and including 1979 used the disc pads I had. 1980 and onwards used a more square pad. So it seems even though the Australian Design Reg plate on the bike is stamped as Sept 1980 the bike is actually a 1979 machine.

Comment

We suspect your bike is a combination of two or more bikes, so it is entirely possible a previous owner put a 1979 front end on your 1980 motorcycle.

Comment

Working...
                        X