Side stand question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side stand question

Question; When I lower my side stand it is in one position. When I lean the bike on it the side stand kind of slides a bit sideways. When I checked it by hand it seems the side stand bolt is tight but the but the stand has lateral play. Is that normal or a sign of abuse/excessive wear?

My 1150 had 1200 miles on it when purchased, and the stand did the same as you've described. If its a concern to you, it couldnt hurt to remove it and thoroughly inspect it though. A little grease on reassembly couldnt hurt either...
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Before I was forced to weld mine on there were two bolts holding the stand to the frame.
      Did your bolts come loose?
      You will have to get down to see them.

Comment

My stand mounting plate was badly worn from the prior owner not greasing the pivot nor using the centerstand.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I figured it out. The stand and brackets are worn after 35 years. Welded some metal to the worn areas and filed it down so they fit together. Now it is ok. Plus I added 1/2 inch of steel to the bottom of side stand. Now it stands much nice than before.

Comment

Working...
          X