What forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What forks

hi all,I have acquired a 1982 gsx 750 (gs in US). what forks do I have on my bike?,they don't have air valves but they have one spring and a spacer tube and they come apart by removing the Allan bolt at the bottom.this allows the removal of the oil seal by pumping the inner tube.I need to know the amount of oil as I don't want to blow the new seals. thanks

Any reason to believe that they are not stock forks?

Your description applies to virtually ALL of the forks on GS bikes, so maybe a picture would help?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks Steve

yes they sound like any GS forks they also look like them.What I have gleaned from the manual downloaded from Bikecliffes website ,82 GS 750's have an air valve at top of forks,Or Is this just the US version?Haines and Clymer never produced a manual for this bike as it only had a two year life.Iv'e looked at other GS models forks but none without air valves match my fork internals exactly.Where now.

Comment

From alpha motor sports. Look familuar?
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks Charlie G

sorry no. No air valve,single spring and no anti dive.forks look exactly like the ones in the 1982 gs 750 without top nut air valve.

Comment

You may have forks which are market specific - the US seemed to like soft ride with air assist. Rest of world wanted to go around corners...

I'd use the same amount and rating oil as the air assist forks. The internal volumes and drillings are unlikely to be different.

Comment

Thanks Greg T

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.I will go by that,If I blow my oil seals I know where you are. Thanks everyone for your contribution.Anglo-American relations rules.

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk View Post
                That's exactly what I wanted to hear.I will go by that,If I blow my oil seals I know where you are. Thanks everyone for your contribution.Anglo-American relations rules.
                I think I'm safe - I'm in NZ...

I have a problem with blowing fork seals too on our GS1000 racebike - the owner is very fond of wheelies...

Comment

Working...
                X