Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T.E.L. to help protect valves from regressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T.E.L. to help protect valves from regressing.

BMW airhead motorcycles sick valves, noisy valves, valveseats, valve-seats, lead, fuel, gasoline, snowbum, snobum

About 3 or 4 ounces of aviation leaded gasoline, in the commonly available grade called 100LL (100 octane Low Lead) is needed per gallon of UNleaded car gas, for good protection on the 1979 and earlier airheads. On a practical basis, less than this amount seems OK, and many have had good results by simply adding a cupful (a cup is 8 ounces officially, but in practice is 5-8 ounces) every few tank fillups. NOTE that this usage for road vehicles is illegal in the U.S. Still, many who have lawnmowers, etc., with old type seats, add a small amount of aviation fuel to their tanks.

For those wishing more exacting information, aviation fuels containing either 4 or 8 grams of tetraethyl lead per gallon are, or were, common. Leaded fuel for airplanes was typically available in 87 octane, and low and high leaded 100 octane. Today, only 100LL is likely to be found at airports. It is commonly accepted that approximately 0.1 gram (some say up to 0.3 for high protection) of tetraethyl lead per gallon is enough to provide reasonable valve seat protection. This is FAR LESS than the amount required to boost octane any appreciable amount. Using the 4 gm/gal specification type of aviation gas (100 LL), only .025 gallon of aviation gas is needed per gallon of unleaded car gas. A gallon is 128 ounces (U.S. measure). Thus, only 3-1/4th ounces of aviation gas per gallon of unleaded car gas is required for acceptable protection. Frankly, less is needed, as aviation piston engines normally work very much harder than our airheads.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

I melted my spark plugs down to little nubs doing that a long time ago.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Adding 100LL in small amounts to unleaded fuel caused your spark plugs to wear at an advanced rate?

That doesn't make sense.

Comment

Adjusting valves isn't that big of a hassle is it? Maybe on the Beemer?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          It is a problem every couple of hundred miles having to do tappets because of valves tightening up, I had that on my T140.
          I used an additive still was a problem....

The only real way to deal with it is have the proper hard new seats installed, then fixed forever.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            Adding 100LL in small amounts to unleaded fuel caused your spark plugs to wear at an advanced rate?

That doesn't make sense.
            No they didn't wear, they melted in about an hour or two. Avgas is different, it is a naptha based fuel, which burns a lot hotter. I tried to save a few bucks by pouring the fuel from the coffee cans used for airplanes to drip their overflow into, so I'd pour a little into the bike. Maybe a cup or two. Maybe more. Certainly much less than a gallon. Couple hours later the bike is missing badly, pulled a spark plug and it was just a little nub. No electrodes left at all. All four were like that. New plugs, new gas, had no further problems for years and years. This on a nearly new 1977 GS 550, back in 1978.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              Super easy to adjust valves on Beemers.

Comment

UNEP is the global champion for the environment with programmes focusing on sustainable development, climate, biodiversity and more.

Especially read pages 11 and 12.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  They pretty much say don't worry about it.

Kind of like we've been doing.

Comment

I used to run avgas in my hod rod car, sometimes almost a full tank. Never had a problem. I was young and thought that more octane meant more horsepower. It had almost 11-1 compression.

Comment

Yeah it was fine in my Barracuda, too but not in the bike. I don't know why.

Comment

Ahhh Maybe at a ratio of a cup or more, as you described it was too hot???

They did say about 4 to 8 ounces ( or something like that ) per tank full.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

some additives.....

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            They pretty much say don't worry about it.

Kind of like we've been doing.
                            Looks like that's the case for the bikes coming out of Japan. Unfortunately there are other machines made pre '74 and those bikes made elsewhere such as Europe.

Comment

There are lead substitutes that won't burn up spark plugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X