Center Stand hitting chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center Stand hitting chain?

I just bought a center stand for my bike as it didn't come with one and want to be able to use it for when I need to do maintenance. Anyway, after putting it on it's hitting the chain. Is there some kind of guide that I'm missing? Do these usually ride close to the chain? Maybe I need to tighten it up? I'm running approx 1.25" of slack.

1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Do you have the rubber dampeners that go on the exhaust that keeps the center stand down about an inch?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Can't say exactly how much slack you should have, but that sounds a bit high.

The proper amount of slack will still not be tight when the centers of both sprockets and the swing arm pivot are in a straight line.

In stock form, the center stand would hit against a stop on the left muffler. Apparently you don't have a left muffler, might be good to fabricate a replacement stop, instead.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ah, so maybe that's what limits its upward travel. And yeah, I'm running a 4:1. Anyone got a pic they can post of what that stock setup is? Would give me some idea of how to make something up.

Thanks.
        edit: Nevermind - found a good pic on ebay. Thanks Steve!
        Last edited by Sci85; 11-22-2013, 08:27 PM.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

There is a rubber bumper on the stock exhaust for the stand, So you will have to make something

Comment

I added a piece of 1/8" X 1.25" flat steel stock on my 1100ET. It is about 5" long with a hole drilled on one end for the peg mount bolt to attach it. It holds the stand away perfectly.

Comment

Mad jack, can you post up a pic of your mod?
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I'll get a picture and post it tonight

Comment

Here is a mod I did to provide for the bumper for the center stand on the 450e I owned. I believe it is made from a piece of 2 1/2" steel angle, mounted to the RH exhaust hanger, and cut down to miniumize the weight and bulk. The stock rubber bumper was installed by drilling a hole at the point of alignment and pulling the rubber through the hole. The stock bumper had been a bracket on the LH hanger, which was removed when the PO installed the 2 to pipes.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Good job Charlie. I forgot about getting a picture, but your does show it perfectly when mounted on the right side. Mine is mounted on the left and is a strait piece of flat that hits the "lift" tang

Comment

Or you could do something like this. Goes over one of the center stand pivots.
                      The tab is the stand stop.
                      The Three Horsemen
                      '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                      '83 GS1100ES
                      ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                      Porkchop Express

Comment

Thanks Charlie. I'm working down that road now.

Interesting idea Greg. Can you post a pic of it installed?
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I'll get a couple photos after work today.
                          The Three Horsemen
                          '83 GS1100ES
                          ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

As promised.

The Three Horsemen
                            '83 GS1100ES
                            ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Ah, I see now. Ingenuous. Thanks Greg! Did you use something off the shelf to create the bracket or did you make it from scratch?
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Working...
                              X