Handgrips on 850 GLX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handgrips on 850 GLX

I would like to change the handgrips on my 81 850 to something more comfortable that would dampen vibration. Is it possible to change the grip itself or do you have to change the whole assembly with the switches?

Yes it's possible to do it without even removing the left hand switch; right hand will require you to open it up at least.

At least on my 550
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

By the way, if you have vibrations bad enough to require damping, why not kill them entirely?

Fix the bike, you can then run solid rubber grips, as the engine simply won't put out any objectionable vibes.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think that the stock grips are surprisingly good. I gave away almost the last of my secret stash of No Longer Available Sunline GT grips to Big T.

I really like these for the great traction of the hand or glove, and the large diameter. You barely have to grip them.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to figure this out. My hands are a lot larger than they were 30 years ago. I work in construction and am manipulating tools day in and day out. Once in a while my right hand gets numb on the bike. The bike is well tuned and runs smooth, but I think it has to do with the fact that the hand is in the same position for an extended period of time. Might be a bit of carpal tunnel setting in but this is the only place it shows up. Being up here in Canada is another challenge altogether, as there is nothing like cold tools in your hands first thing in the morning. At any rate I thought that changing the handgrip to something larger and more comfortable might be the ticket. I was asking to find out if anyone else had done this and what was involved.

Comment

Working...
          X