82 gs850l side lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs850l side lights

Hey to GS folks! Quick question! Are side lights on when running or do they only blink? Also left hand side blinks after bike has been running for a few minutes , it just comes on before that when I turn the blinker on ? What do you think? Thanks GSKEN. I'm new here.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2013, 09:45 PM. Reason: better information

Maybe just poor bulb connections, but best to suspect low charging system output at times- a common occurence. Head to this link and do some testing

Above link comes from info Basscliff's info overload.....

Some bikes had running lights in the front turn signals that came on with ignition on- some from factory, some added on later.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If they're the same as the 1100, then the fronts are dual element. They have running lights and flasher. The rears are single element and only flash. Not sure why the left hand one starts flashing.
      1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
      2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
      2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

I don't remember if my wife's bike came to us with marker lights at the front, but it has them now.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

only flash

Mine only come on with the flasher, no running lights.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
            Mine only come on with the flasher, no running lights.
            Well get some! you can't be too visible to distracted folks. After a close call this year, I'd decided to replace my amber front marker lights with some LED daytime running lights to dazzle ADD's - look good in basement, but next spring will be the test!
            Headlight is not on in pic- flash reflection
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

where did you pick up the led lights?

Comment

Originally posted by muslinging79 View Post
                where did you pick up the led lights?
                Amazon,ebay, auto stores all sell them. I got a set of 3" diameter ones to fiddle with, mounted where reflectors were. These are just daytime running lights, not fog or driving ones. Beware the power ratings of these critters- the Chinese have trouble with power ratings. Mine claimed 4 watts, but actually were 1.5 watts (for the pair) at 13 volts.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Amazon,ebay, auto stores all sell them. I got a set of 3" diameter ones to fiddle with, mounted where reflectors were. These are just daytime running lights, not fog or driving ones. Beware the power ratings of these critters- the Chinese have trouble with power ratings. Mine claimed 4 watts, but actually were 1.5 watts (for the pair) at 13 volts.
                  Yeah - lots of them out there, but which ones did you choose?

Comment

Beware the power ratings of these critters- the Chinese have trouble with power ratings. Mine claimed 4 watts, but actually were 1.5 watts (for the pair) at 13 volts.
                    Nothing wrong with a photon-emitting device only consuming 1.5 watts.

Remember, "watts" is only a measure of power consumption, not brightness. It is the result of a mathematical computation of "volts x amps".

Some devices will produce more light with less power, making them more efficient, but there is no real correlation between "watts" and "brightness".

For example, I feel that the LED headlights that are in two of our bikes produce a brighter light than the halogen lights they replace. The halogens drew 4.2 amps, at 14 volts, that would be 58.8 watts, very close to the 55 watt rating on the package (my meter might be a little off, too ). Using the same meter (meaning the same error, if one exists), the LED light draws 1.6 amps, or 22.4 watts. Obviously, the LEDs are more efficient.

Until you exceed the charging capacity of the bike (distressingly easy to do), it helps to have extra lights on the front for conspicuity. LED lights are a good way to do that, as they will not load the bike's electrical system as much. So, ... we would still like to see a link to the lights that were used, they appear to be decent examples of what can be used.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

These photon emitting devices appear bright enough (good enough for my application), but are about as powerful as small flashlights- hence my power warning in case one thinks that they are driving/fog lights (they ain't). Here's the amazon link

Here's my preliminary setup in attached pic- SS hoseclamp on housing with bent corner bracket
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

These photon emitting devices appear bright enough (good enough for my application), but are about as powerful as small flashlights- hence my power warning in case one thinks that they are driving/fog lights (they ain't).
                        Thanks for the link.

Not sure why anyone would think they are "driving/fog lights", the listing specifically calls them "Daytime Running Light" (as well as "Fog" and "Driving").

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Amazon is somewhat vague on description- box calls them "daytime running lights". Anyway, here's another from same factory with 9 LEDs with more photon specfics.... I might try these too for comparison if I get bored

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._co_p422_d0_i3?
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Tom, did you turn those mirrors around to be able to shave while you ride?

Comment

Working...
                            X