First Post: 1981 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Post: 1981 GS550

Hi all, I've been lurking around this forum for some time and trying to find solutions to my (growing) list of maintenance issues on my GS50.

Short story: I bought my first bike, a CL '81 GS550 for $500, not running ad said "needed seat and carbs cleaned." Because I had only ridden dirt bikes a couple of times, I took the weekend IL State Motorcycle Rider Safety course, and had the carbs cleaned (ultrasonic dip) and compression tested to get it running. I've never restored or done this much maintenance ever It runs. It rides. I've "played" with it It has issues. As far as I know, mechanically stock. Eventually I'd really like to get it restored and looking nice, and use it for daily riding and touring. I really dig the cafe looks, but I don't think think that configurations suits the riding I want to do with this bike.

Pics:

Known problems:

Disclaimer: I've already probably committed many bonehead noobie mistakes, several times over. I also relocated from a small, rural college town to downtown Chicago--I lack a man cave so my progress has been slow as I have a 1 hour commute just to see her.
    • Rust removal!
    • Seat repair/replacement
    • One of the carbs had a broken post and was repaired with jb weld??
    • Front brake surges. --Replaced front rotor
    • "Clutch slips under heavy acceleration"

Rear brake works but sticks, will manually break loose.
    • Electrical issues:

1. revs drop when headlights are on.
    2. neutral light inconsistent
    3. STATOR??
    4. "burnt stator leads" --rewired these
    • Almost always use starting fluid to start bike especially cold.
    • Exhaust leak at #2 header?
    • Dent on RH side of tank, appears to have been laid over in pickup?

It hasn't been ridden extensively since fall 2012.

Work done (shop or myself):

Carb clean/rebuild--compression test---general inspection: Oct '12 shop

Oil and filter changed September '13

Brake fluid changed/bled Oct '13

Chain soaked in kerosene/cleaned. Throwout cleaned.

Some wiring redone

Front rotor replaced

Spark plugs replaced

The rear brake seems to be one of my worst problems now. I'll add some more to this list soon. Should I have posted this in projects?

Wow, first post and pictures- that will attract attention here! First off you need to find friend/significant other with basement/garage close to you to spend more time fixing and less traveling.

Sticking brakes? - sounds like you got to rebuild brake cylinders not just replace fluid. Of course, as a lurker you've noticed Basscliff's info warehouse. Your bike seems to have the complete list of maintenance problems

Be suspicious of all work done by others- carb cleaning especially needs to be done or you will get real frustrated. Ditch the starting fluid- it's already told you that your carbs ain't right
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Don't be in a hurry, go through all of the maintenance.

Looks like you have a 550 T, those are nice bikes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
      X