Starter removal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter removal!

I just finished wiring my 82' 450 a couple days ago but ended up blowing the starter trying to start it in first gear. I have no clue how to remove the starter. I removed the two bolts mounting it in place and the screw on the backside. Any help???

Are you sure? I've done it a million times, cars, bikes, whatever. Never seen a starter hurt at all from starting in gear.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The starter doesnt seem to be getting power at all. My solenoid clicks but not result from my starter. Is there a way to jump start my battery with a car battery to see if thats the problem?

Comment

Short the solenoid with a screwdriver to see if the starter turns. Make sure the bike is in neutral first of course.

Clicking solenoid usually points to a dead battery.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Or you can jump 12v directly to the lug where the battery lead attaches to the starter. If it works the problem is in the relay or the wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
            Or you can jump 12v directly to the lug where the battery lead attaches to the starter. If it works the problem is in the relay or the wiring.
            The handles on the fine pliers in the Suzuki tool kit are good for that.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by DCASS92 View Post
              I just finished wiring my 82' 450 a couple days ago but ended up blowing the starter trying to start it in first gear. I have no clue how to remove the starter. I removed the two bolts mounting it in place and the screw on the backside. Any help???

if you still want to remove starter...did you take the cam-chain tensioner off? You must, to get it out.

Comment

Turns out the bolts that mounted my starter in had snapped halfway through. I had to drill them out. I have a new starter in now but another issue popped up. My starter motors spinning but my engines not turning over and starting. It seems to not be getting a spark. I added brand new spark plugs. Any idea??

Comment

Is your battery freshly charged? Have you gone through the procedure to determine that your coils are getting all the voltage that they require while the engine is cranking? Maybe you need the coil relay mod? It could be so many things at this point that I'd need a multimeter and access to your bike to be able to narrow it down.

Comment

Originally posted by DCASS92 View Post
                    Turns out the bolts that mounted my starter in had snapped halfway through. I had to drill them out. I have a new starter in now but another issue popped up. My starter motors spinning but my engines not turning over and starting. It seems to not be getting a spark. I added brand new spark plugs. Any idea??
                    If the engine is not "turning over" it won't spark. Maybe the new starter has it's gear in a different place that won't engage the starting clutch gear..or?

Comment

I got the bike started today! But with starter fluid. Its only starting with starting fluid and doesnt last after the fluid wears off. Im not sure if it could be my petcock or my fuel filter or if something stuck in a pipe. Anybody know how to fix the fuel filter??

Comment

Easiest way to fix the fuel filter is to throw it away if it's an external one. If you are referring to the one that is already on the petcock inside of the tank, put a new petcock into place.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

So I go the bike running after cleaning out the carbs and replacing the starter motor.
                          Thank you to those that helped. But now my bike wont move!!. Even if I have the clutch pulled in and gear in first the bike doesnt move! It shifts without the cable but doesnt move!! Can anybody help??!!?

Comment

Does it make any noise from the rear wheel area?? Could be worn out splines in the rear wheel. I think it's called the "driven gear" in parts fiches.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I figured out the issue. My clutch case was screwed on too tight and that was preventing my clutch to engage in gear changing. I think the rod might be too long. Is that a possibility?

Comment

Working...
                              X