Install engine case guards 82 gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install engine case guards 82 gs750

Okay, anyone who can help? I know stupid but the lower frame bolt on each side has some kind of funky teardrop shaped nut on the inside of the frame tube and this is a real pain to get the lower engine guard bolt fastened.

Thanks for the help!

Yes it is a PITA. I hot glued mine to a popsicle stick in order to hold it in place while I inserted the bolt into place.

Worked like a charm.

Comment

It actually goes up into a rectangular recess in the engine block..and I use short Hemos to hold them as i get the bolt started.

Be sure you have the correct bolt for each side..they ARE NOT the same length. And if you need longer ones than the stock..be sure they DO NOT hit the engine block and punch a hole in it as you wrench the bolt tight.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks to all!

Comment

Okay so after 2 hours and much foul language are there any other suggestions our there! Can I just leave this bolt out!!

Help!!!

Comment

no..and you cant leave it out.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Is the exhaust interfering with this?

Comment

Well kind of except for me squeezing my finger underneath to try to position the nut. Is this tear drop shape nut have to be in a certain position? I can see it line up through the frame i can't get the bolt to grab.

Comment

All of this is of course assuming that this is the place to attach the lower mount of the engine case guard.

Comment

Is the bolt the correct thread pitch? The bolt is not damaged? They usually go in very easily.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I do not know if orientation is a problem. I opted to point mine downward so they would not have a chance to crack my cases.

Again I had the exhaust off and avoided having to muck about with stretching fingers with a hot glue gun and a popsicle stick.

I doubt you can do this with the exhaust off though.

Comment

Bolt and threads are fine as in can easily screw together off the frame. If at first.......I'll keep trying.

Comment

Case guard steel is usually around 3/16 inch thick and takes up bolt length. If you havent gotten longer bolts, you probably wont catch a thread to get them started.. I think i elluded to this in a previous post..maybe you didnt pick up on it though. Stick a bolt in and use a mirror to see up in the recess..bet you dont see very much ( if any ) bolt sticking through.

Youll need longer bolts..but be sure they dont hit the engine case. Stick them in ALL THE WAY and be sure they dont touch before installing the tear drop thing.

Comment

Successssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't have a popsicle stick but a long skinny flat head screw driver with duck tape did the job.

Thanks folks

Comment

Working...
                            X