Merry Christmas and a teeny problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merry Christmas and a teeny problem

I have an 85 450L with the rear drum brake. I get a rhythmic scraping sound from the rear end and can't figure out the cause. We taken the tire off, inspected the drum brake, the rear axle, chain sprocket and everything looks good. We reassembled the rear end and the rhythmic scraping sound is still there but much reduced. Anyone have any ideas where I should look next?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2013, 09:54 PM.

I'm curious what you find out Tamara. I still have to do my rear drum brakes too.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Wheel bearings just a tad worn and allowing the rim to toddle a bit? They are grease well at the pivots and they are fully returning to the neutral position? Those would be my two first things to check.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hole in the hub maybe worn out a bit and the hub shifts and lets the pads scrape???
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Internals

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Wheel bearings just a tad worn and allowing the rim to toddle a bit? They are grease well at the pivots and they are fully returning to the neutral position? Those would be my two first things to check.
          Good call Chuck.

So it's not the shoes scraping...it's quite possibly the bearings.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The brake HUB is seperate from the rim and is held still by the stabalizer bar. The rim rolls around the pads, and if the bearings are going the rim can spin out of round, so to speak, and every now and then the pads will touch off. Same theory if the hole in the hub or the axle itself has some extra play.

Comment

You can try centralizing the shoes and back plate,loosen rear wheel roll if forward and backwards applying the brake to wriggle everything into position then holding brake on after the last roll and apply tighten up the axle.Otherwise could be an out of round drum ,knackered bearing/s ,stuffed chain catching the chainguard

Comment

Have you checked your chain isn't rubbing the chain guard and the wheel is properly aligned? Sometimes the swing arm marks are not very accurate.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas Chuck! We'll check those this weekend.

Tatu, the chain is not rubbing on the guard. Checked that this morning. The tire is properly aligned. We were pretty careful about getting the tire just right when we remounted it after checking the brakes.

Comment

Take you pinky and put it in the bearing hole and see if you feel any kind of looseness of the inner and outer races. Up and down and side to side. The bearing should also roll without any feeling of notchyness...like a roller or a race has worn in flat spots anywhere.

Comment

are the bearings dry? repack with grease and see if the noise disappears. if it does, replace the bearings anyway
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Sprockets out of round or chain stretched in one place causing a tight/loose situation which wear's the cush drive and causes weird noises and worn bearings.

Thoughts ?
                        Stephen.
                        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

I'm in agreement with a bearing issue. I think you should have the wheel off and see if you can determine any play in it. It should be easy enough to feel and you might get a better sense of it if you put the axle through the wheel and "wiggle" it with your hands. If you support the ends of the axles on jack stands and rotate the wheel you might be able to duplicate that noise.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Take you pinky and put it in the bearing hole and see if you feel any kind of looseness of the inner and outer races. Up and down and side to side. The bearing should also roll without any feeling of notchyness...like a roller or a race has worn in flat spots anywhere.
                            Thanks for the tip .

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                              I'm in agreement with a bearing issue. I think you should have the wheel off and see if you can determine any play in it. It should be easy enough to feel and you might get a better sense of it if you put the axle through the wheel and "wiggle" it with your hands. If you support the ends of the axles on jack stands and rotate the wheel you might be able to duplicate that noise.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
                              That's a good idea. I know what we'll be doing Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X