Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front wheel locking

Hi Fellas
    I just gone to fit my front wheel on my gs1000g 1980 ,and all went well until i tried to fit the r/H caliper, it wouldn't go one and was hitting the disc, the L/H one went on fine, so I slackened off the axle nut and found that the fork slider moved out with the nut and left a 4-5mm gap between the axle inner and outer spacers on the R/H side, have I got the outer spacer the wrong way round, as I followed the parts diagram on fitment, or could it be the wheel bearings as there not genuine Suzuki,any suggestions
    mark

Originally posted by bsa44161 View Post
    Hi Fellas
    I just gone to fit my front wheel on my gs1000g 1980 ,and all went well until i tried to fit the r/H caliper, it wouldn't go one and was hitting the disc, the L/H one went on fine, so I slackened off the axle nut and found that the fork slider moved out with the nut and left a 4-5mm gap between the axle inner and outer spacers on the R/H side, have I got the outer spacer the wrong way round, as I followed the parts diagram on fitment, or could it be the wheel bearings as there not genuine Suzuki,any suggestions
    mark
    Make sure you have the spacers in the right order then loosen up the whole front end up to the triples, replace the calipers then tighten from the bottom up.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Are you sure that the slave is sliding on the pins ok? and that the piston is back enough to allow it to pass over the disc.

I would be surprised if there's owt such thing as an after market spacer.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
        Are you sure that the slave is sliding on the pins ok? and that the piston is back enough to allow it to pass over the disc.

I would be surprised if there's owt such thing as an after market spacer.
        i think you mean the caliper sliding on the pins, and he did not mention an aftermarket spacer. Just that they are not Suzuki genuine bearings.

those are the things that should be checked anyway, if they are seized and the piston and caliper cant move then they will lock up the discs when everything is tightened up
        Last edited by Agemax; 12-26-2013, 12:56 PM. Reason: added a bit
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          i think you mean the caliper sliding on the pins, and he did not mention an aftermarket spacer. Just that they are not Suzuki genuine bearings.

those are the things that should be checked anyway, if they are seized and the piston and caliper cant move then they will lock up the discs when everything is tightened up
          Ok, too many beers and reading without moving my lips, I'm bad/my bad?
          Here's one for those that mightn't know, all bearings, shafts and seals are standard sizes. Just need to know if you're dealing with metric or imperial, there of course are the specials like doweled and circliped ect but the sizes are all standards.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Also, make sure that the relief port in the master cylinder is clear of any ostructions. A fine wire and good flush will do the trick.

Comment

If you do loosen the front end make sure to support under the engine otherwise the whole lot will fall forward.
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

wheel lock

I have rebuilt the whole front end, new wheel bearings etc, my thought was that the r/h outer spacer was the wrong way round and the raised part should be on the inside and not facing out like the parts book shows, the caliper is OK except when i tighten the axle nut it still locks up, thats why i thought the none Suzuki wheel bearings might be wrong, or as i said the spacer is the wrong way round, still confused
                Mark

Comment

These are the original forks, axles, sterring head, everything? When it was together before it all worked properly? Or is this a mix n match bike of some sort? Maybe one you bought as is but haven't ridden?
                  Tightening the axle shouldn't pull the fork legs together, if all is in there correctly they should be the proper distance apart already.

Are the replacement bearings the same thickness as the old ones? You got the spacer back in between the bearings?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

locking wheel

yes bought as is all together , haven't ridden it yet as I'm still rebuilding it,the spacer is in, but can you tell me which way round the spacer goes.
                    your right, to my way of thinking that the axle shouldn't pull in that much,apart from the spacer not being right or the bearings not the correct width I cant fathom it out.
                    mark

Comment

locking wheel

another thought, when I was installing the bearings ,if I tapped them all the way in ,they were hitting the inner spacer and thus making the bearing feeling rough when spinning, so do they go in only so far or are they installed all the way home,
                      and if anyone has photo of there front end showing the spacers i would be grateful

cheers
                      mark

Comment

Check your PM for pic's.

Comment

locking wheel

Cheers mate pictures identify what i thought, i had the r/h spacer like the parts book show, so its the wrong way round
                          Regards
                          Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X