oil for tach cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil for tach cable

What kind of oil should I use for tach cable?
    When bike is running in getting a loud (hiss)
    From the tach

Ive been using a dab of white lithium grease. Doesnt take much. Make sure you pull it out and inspect the cable for damage and clean it all good.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

It is more likely coming from the tach drive in your gauges. The best way to do it is to take the gauges off and spray penetrant, Teflon, etc, into the tach and speedo drives. You can use the red/clear plastic tube and bend it to spray up into the drives but it works best with the gauges off of the bike. Others will start posting now...

Comment

I have had great succes with 90w gear oil.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          I have had great succes with 90w gear oil.
          Yes, something heavy!

1979 GS1000

Comment

Remove the inner, wipe it clean, lube with gear oil and wipe the gear oil from the top three inches of the inner, to prevent it from migrating up into the tacho head.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I take welding wire and make a loop like a gun cleaner kit and pull rags thru the sleeve till its clean, wipe off the cable, and use grease all over the cable and just reinsert it. Lasts forever.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have good luck with ordinary motor oil on the inner cable, and reinsert it. I don't think that it matters too much.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I clean it then use cable lube.

Comment

I've used this stuff for 20+ years on the tach and speedo cables, lever pivots, steering head bearings etc.. on my 850 and it works great: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SUPER...-/151107721653

If lubing the cable doesn't eliminate the noise as GS1000E suggested it's probably in the head and may require disassembly to fix if the spray lube doesn't cure it.
                    78' GS1000EC
                    79' GS850GN
                    79' GS1000N
                    79' GS1000EN
                    81' GS1100EX

Comment

I use Chain Wax.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X