Starter Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Removal

I am removing the starter in my 82 GS650E, ive removed the carbs and the starter cover plate. I can see the two bolts that hold the starter down, my question is, Do I have to remove the cam chain adjuster? And, is there anything else I should know going into this?

Do you mean "cam chain tensioner?"

I wouldn't mess with that if you don't have to.

Put up some pics..and also look at basscliff's website for starter removal.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I don't think you can remove the starter without removing the tensioner.

Even if you don't have to, it will be easier if you do.

Keep in mind that if you remove the tensioner, you will have to make sure it gets re-installed PROPERLY.

Have you checked your valve clearances lately? This would be the PERFECT time to do that. You will obviously also have to remove the valve cover, but that will also give you the opportunity to verify proper cam timing. Keep in mind that you will have to rotate the crank to check valve clearances, but you do NOT want to rotate it if the cam chain tensioner is removed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As I said in your OTHER thread of the same subject, it is possible to do so but Steve is right, much easier if the tensioner is off.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I did not have to remove the tensioner to replace the starter on my E.

Comment

28 Posts???

Originally posted by shakeybone View Post
            I did not have to remove the tensioner to replace the starter on my E.
            Let's see some pics.

Here's one I have that's close to the area in question:

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-11-2014, 11:18 AM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. So i did not remove the tensioner, i removed both bolts holding the starter in. Do i just wiggle this thing out using a screwdriver as a pry bar or what? Seems like it doesnt want to move.

Comment

Didn't remove the tensioner on my 750, came out easy. Try prying very gently. Aluminium gets scared too easy

Comment

Ok starter has been removed, now onto the testing phase. I hooked up a positive lead to my battery (which was reading 12.49v) and the other end to the starter positive terminal, then took negative from battery and touched starter housing, i got a spark, but it didnt jump off the table as Ive read it should, anyway to tell if its a bad starter, or maybe just the brushes inside?

Comment

Time to take it apart and find out. In general, there are several things that could be wrong. If it is just the brushes, time to clean everything, buff the armature, and replace the brushes. If your starter has bearings, perhaps one has locked up. The only way to tell is to take it apart. At this point, you have nothing to lose.

Comment

Heres what it looks like taken apart, the brushes look alright, however the magnetic pieces are broken as you can see. The two large pieces came right out, there are two other pieces that look identical that are still attached to the inside of the starter casing. Do those come out as well? Will a rebuild kit help me? All the rebuilds Ive seen do not have these rectangular looking magnets, they have circle ones. Do I need to just buy a new starter?

Comment

Can you post a full sized picture? Can't see jack.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That is what I was afraid of. Those are your magnets, they are supposed to be attached to the housing. They have broken off.
                          Time to replace the starter.
                          Sorry about that.

Comment

Yes, you need a new-to-you starter motor. The 650E uses a different starter than shaft 650's (the rear mount is different)- and actually it's more readily available since 550's use same.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry for the small image earlier im still getting used to posting pics to the forum, hope this one is better. I figured once i saw the broken magnets i needed a new starter, at least I know what the problem was. Thanks again, thus forum always comes through

Comment

Working...
                              X