after draining oil Sparkles found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after draining oil Sparkles found

While changing my oil I wiped out the hole where my filter goes in. I noted sparkles in the oil on the blue paper shop towel. What can I do now? Rebuild? No idea where the metal is coming from.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

cut the filter apart..
    what color is it?
    GS1000?
    it might not be nothing major.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      cut the filter apart..
      what color is it?
      GS1000?
      it might not be nothing major.
      Crap! already tossed it out.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Pull off the stator cover and make sure the starter clutch nut is tight.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          Pull off the stator cover and make sure the starter clutch nut is tight.
          Okay I'll check it out Thanks
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

are the sparkles magnetic?

a little metal is normal to see every oil change with the roller engines. but the metal / clutch fiber material you see normally is non-magnetic.

if they stick to a magnet -- pull the stator and check the 3 starter clutch bolts - as well as the big end nut.

get into the clutch and look around , pull the pressure plate to check the clutch nut is tight.

These are the common metal makers - starter clutch , clutch lock washer , clutch basket fingers, crank thrust washers.
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
              are the sparkles magnetic?

a little metal is normal to see every oil change with the roller engines. but the metal / clutch fiber material you see normally is non-magnetic.

if they stick to a magnet -- pull the stator and check the 3 starter clutch bolts - as well as the big end nut.

get into the clutch and look around , pull the pressure plate to check the clutch nut is tight.

These are the common metal makers - starter clutch , clutch lock washer , clutch basket fingers, crank thrust washers.
              I have not tried a magnet, but I will. I didn't notice any metal on the drain plug when I cleaned it off. Thanks
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

No metal found

I took off all the side covers, Clutch, stator, ignition points cover. Wiped them out with a clean shop cloths and went out in the Sun. No metal sparkling. So I don't know what to think. I'm going to drink on it and wait for replies.
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Being that ferous metals are magnetic and the drain plug SHOULD have a magnet in the center hole, you would have seen crap stuck to it if you paid close attention. BUT do swipe a pencil magnet around in the oil and inspect it

If its not stuck to the magnet, then common sense would say check areas made of aluminum or where a spinning part could come into contact with something like a cover, clutch basket grooves, cam shaft bearing surfaces, slappy cam chain hitting inside of engine cases, etc etc.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Running oil thru a coffee filter will catch the finest particles but its a slow drip process. I have also seen people run it thru a few layers of old socks to trap stuff and check it.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

just ride it, fix it when it breaks
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Oil Sample

I always take a Sample of oil (Engine, Transmission,,..) when ever I dump.
                        Just run a clear glass container under the oil running out.
                        I use a small Baby Food Glass Jar with Cap.
                        Did this once after running the motor warm, and got Sparkles, I was not happy.
                        Then after a day of the jar sitting, I flipped the jar over in the sunshine, to see whats sitin on the bottom,,.. was, Nothing!?!?
                        Turns out the "Sparkle" was just small air bubbles in the oil.

Comment

so he got air bubbles on his blue shop rag???????????
                          hahahhahahhahaha

Comment

No clue

I have not found anymore metal. I drained the oil and took the filter out and the bike sat for 2 days. Thats when I got ready to put the new filter and oil in and wiped out the crankcase hole where the filter goes and noted the sparkling metal. There were no bubbles.
                            [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

meh, i'd run it and not worry too much. you will KNOW if something is really wrong.
                              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                              X