Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering lock GS550

Hi
    My bike came without steering lock keys but I can see the number on the lock itself. Unfortunately my dealer told me that you have to replace the lock as you can't have a key made not even if you have the number. Seems a bit strange to me or is it a good idea to contact the supplier from trhe steering lock and see if they can help?
    Any ideas?

Take the number to a locksmith, some of them can cut a key. This must be a super early 550?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

1984 Suzuki GS550E

Comment

It has a separate key from the ignition?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

May I ask why you need the steering lock?
          1. they can be dangerous. I personally know of two different bikes it engaged on the rider in motion. Rider error? possibly. I have also heard of this on other forums (not Suzuki specific)
          2. They are pointless for theft. If someone wants the bike they will get it.
          A caliper lock works (with a reminder leash!!!) just as well if you feel the need.
          3. a good locksmith can slug that 80's lock no problem. He may require ownership paperwork.
          4 Replace entire ignition switch with a waterproom marine 3 way toggle.
          good luck!

Comment

The steering lock is separate from the ignition lock . I do realise that my normal ART4 lock is a lot better but I just want the keys that go with the lock. I like to the standard things on the bike to work.
            I have not heard of a steering lock that locked itself without a key in it. I might never use it but I just want to be able to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ton1959 View Post
              The steering lock is separate from the ignition lock . I do realise that my normal ART4 lock is a lot better but I just want the keys that go with the lock. I like to the standard things on the bike to work.
              I have not heard of a steering lock that locked itself without a key in it. I might never use it but I just want to be able to use it.
              ahhh I do understand wanting the standards to work. Sorry couldn't be more help. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X