GS valve bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS valve bucket

Today I was checking the valves on my GS550. I found that one of the buckets was very hard to turn while the valve had free play. The bike has hardly been used in the last years and I think that this might be the reason. The valve does open and close without any problems. But I needed a screwdriver to make the bucket turn. I poored some more oil over the bucket and moved it several times and it is a bit easier to move but still not easy. Have others had this before when you checked the valves?
    I have put new oil into the engine so it might ease off after a few hundred km. But till curious itf it occurs more on the GS's.

Nothing to do with valve clearance in this case. Without the shim it is still hard to move. I do know how to check valve clearance.

Comment

I've pulled engines apart before and found scored and scorched looking buckets. Looks like the engine was abused by neglected oil changes and/or overheating. Good used buckets are cheap and easy to find so you might want to consider picking up a few.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed

Are all the GS550 valve buckets the same size? Mine is a 550E (z) Z for model year 82. But the bike was first registered in 84. It seems to be one bucket that is not willing to turn. So will have a cams out job too now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ton1959 View Post
          Are all the GS550 valve buckets the same size?
          <switching to infomercial voice> But wait, there's MORE!!

All of the GS engines that have only two valves per cylinder, from the 250 all the way to the 1100 shafty, use the same buckets.

If you need some, let me know, I have a few sitting around.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I presume that cams out means carbs off and tensioner out or can I do it witout removing the carbs. Pehaps turn anti clock wise to make the chain go tight on the tensioner site and turn wheel on tensioner and after undo nut and tighten tensioner so it can't work?

Comment

Originally posted by Ton1959 View Post
              Nothing to do with valve clearance in this case. Without the shim it is still hard to move. I do know how to check valve clearance.
              I have a bunch of spare buckets (from a GS650) message me if you need them

Comment

Thanks Paul,

You are a bit closer then the others on the forum . I will have a think what to do next. I migh try running it a few times with the new oil in and check to see if it has improved. If it hasn't I will get in toch again. I wil just have to take it apart. No rush for me as the bike won't be used for a while. IIt has to be right in the end.
                If the idle doesn't improve on the bike I have to take the carbs apart too which means waiting for bit for those too.

Comment

You non mechanical guys really worry about everything -- OH YES it seems like a firestorm but a little resistance is overcome by mechanical advantage easily.

good thing Suzuki did not make ice cream makers
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

How easy is it to take out the cams without touching the carbs? I want to check the valve buckets . I think that it has to be done so I might as well do it right.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

If you can remove your cam chain tensioner then you can leave the carbs in place. It can be done but I would suggest it's easier to pull the carbs.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If I remove the carbs I might as well give them a clean and replace the inlet manifold rubber boots. Can I get away with leaving the old rubbers between air filter and carbs?

Comment

If the rubbers are soft and flexible they'll be ok. If they're hard it's best to replace them.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I am not that lucky they feel hard. I saw some for sale here new but not sure if they are all the same on the GS550's. The manifold boots will be expensive as I have seen on Ebay. The akward thing about my bike that I can't find a parts fiche online for the GS550E ( Z) The Z stands for modelyear 82. I hardly ever see these bikes for sale even over here.
                            I did manage do slightly undo the bolts for the tensioner because I removed the starter cover first. But I wil take the carbs off anyway.

Comment

Just ride it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X