No announcement yet.

New chain with old sprockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type in 630 chain on Ebay...lots of them there for around 60.00 or so. Be sure to get the 96 link standard length or longer. Can always cut a few pins and remove unneeded links.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I may try soaking in ATF or kerosene, simply out of curiosity. I just don't have confidence, knowing how long it has been neglected.

A new chain is a small price for peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
        If the chain is just stiff, and not rusted to $hit, why not try to clean it, oil it and see if it moves freely, it can't be worn out, if the sprockets are that good...

take it off, get a shallow pan, lay the chain in it, and get some kerosene, let it soak for a few days, use a brush to agitate, and work the chain manually with your hands, moving the links and working them free.

it might save you from having to get a chain, and the old ones are good, I still have the original on my GS, not a stiff link on it, after the above was done....now it's nicely oiled and maintained, only reason for me to change it, would be to get one of those fancy gold colored ones, or some other color....

I had to swap out the chain on my Bandit because the chain was so stiff it clunked. Surprisingly, it deteriorated quickly, but riding through a lot of rain probably led to that, even though it was oiled regularly.

The cause of the problem was the o-rings had died and dirt had gotten inside, along with water. the dirt caused abrasion and the extra space the abrasion brought was used by water to cause rust.

I had been using a conventional chain oil, and suspect it washed out during the repeated onslaughts of water/rain. In fact, the first time I noticed anything wrong was while sitting in heavy city traffic during a torrential downpour, and the chain "clunked" when I pulled away.

The chain-wax now used seems much better.

Replacement was an easy choice.
        "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
        Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
        X