Wd-40?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wd-40?

I was just in the garage petting my love (1100EZ) before putting her blanket back on, and I noticed a little squeak down on the tranny when I pulled in the clutch. A quick spray of WD-40 cured that, but did I do something wrong?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Yep.
    Leave it alone until it's time to ride. Eat a steak. Drink a beer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah you mentioned WD40. First the Synth vs Dino now the WD40.. You desperately need to start a tire thread.
      Impressive start Rob.

Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2014, 12:59 AM. Reason: Because people say I don't use them enough. Smileys so no one loses their ****

Comment

Proper lube?

So what would be the proper lube for the release arm (see pic), if that's the proper term?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          So what would be the proper lube for the release arm (see pic), if that's the proper term?
          Vibration from a running engine works well.

Comment

Rode it Sunday, a bit too cold yesterday.

Steak, mussels and (Colorado) koolaid.

Comment

A drop of engine oil would do.

Comment

PTFE lubricant if you are not riding very harsh environment (road salt springs to mind) in which case lithium grease is better.

Comment

Most of them work best with the arm at 90 degrees to the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Most of them work best with the arm at 90 degrees to the cable.
                    That gives the best mechanical advantage for your hand, but this arrangement sacrifices a little of that for more throw of the clutch itself. It doesn't look like the 90° arrangement is available here, though it could maybe get a closer to it than it is.

I'd lube that pin with some heavy grease, maybe replace it if there's visible wear. More likely, I'd just always let the engine drown out the noise.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Lube is a very personal choice. You should use whatever is comfortable for you. Yeah, I said that
                      1979 GS 1000e
                      1967 Triumph Bonneville
                      1986 Honda VFR 750
                      2014 Indian Vintage
                      2015 KLR 650
                      2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
                      2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
                      2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
                      And so on...

sigpic

Comment

PB Blaster....
                        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                        82 gs1100L probably the next project
                        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

PB Blaster is a penetrant, WD-40 is a Water Displacer.
                          Use a lubricant. Motor oil, cable lube, 3 in 1 oil, even chain lube or Dupont Teflon Lube.

Comment

LPS1 LPS2 . WD40 is an electrically safe water displacer by design. I actually use it mostly as that, or a general spray solvent because it's inexpensive.
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Since you're not riding it and you want to be close to it. (I know the feeling.)
                              Take some time to pull the connection, rub it down with some 0000steel wool pad and 3in1 oil, be gentle at first and only get rougher when it needs it, then wipe everything off lightly lube it with a penetrating oil and put it all back together.

Light up a cigarette and have a glass of wine to enjoy the ambiance.

Comment

Working...
                              X