chain keeps loosening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    OK, but do it at the tightest spot in the suspension's travel. Really there's no difference until it gets really loose, the chain won't come off or anything until it's crazy loose. It hurts nothing to leave it a little slack in it.

Also you must replace both sprockets at the same time as the chain, even if they don't look worn, or the new chain will fail fairly quickly as well. Good quality steel sprockets. I went through all of this many times when I was young and inexperienced. Never again.

It is so much easier to do things right and only do them once. I'm serious, I have 13,000 miles on one bike and haven't adjusted the chain once, it is still tensioned perfectly. Not easy highway miles either, this bike has been everywhere.

Yeah, am ordering jt sprockets as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bwanna View Post
      The manual calls for 3/4" play. Are you suggesting that it too tight?
      is this the manual you are using ?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...PM7hx6Q2ynLu-A

1. Check the deflection (slack) in the drive chain as shown in Eigure 7. The chain slack should be 15-20 mm (5/8-13/16 in.) for GS400 models and 20-30 mm (13/16-13/16 in.) for all other models.
      2. If chain requires adjustment perform the following:
      if so he could be right as per the book....

or the book is off.....

Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

My 550 calls for .8 to 1.2 inches of slack and I have mine set to 1". I won't say it's perfect but I haven't had an issue with it yet.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Update:

I installed a JT X-Ring chain and took a real close look at the alignment of the sprockets. While the rear sprocket was parallel with the front sprocket, it appeared that the rear sprocket could be offset. I don't know why, but it seemed like a possibility to these old eyes.

To check it, I installed a washer on the left side of the axle between the spacer and the tensioner to slightly move the hub to the right. After lots of eye checks and measurements, it appeared to remove the original offset. I've been riding with the chain for about 400 miles and the tension is holding strong.

I don't recall a washer being in this location, nor does it appear the manual calls for it. But the chain is much quieter and holding tension well.

So, we'll see!

Comment

Maybe your swingarm is slightly twisted or something? I've never noticed an offset in mine... I'll try to remember to look next time I need to adjust the chain...

Oh, and I have a new chain myself, Esjot O ring.

The last chain (SSS O ring) needed adjusting within the first week and always seemed to stretch.

While I haven't abused the Esjot much so far, it's been on for a few weeks and has exactly the same tension as when I installed it.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
            X