Stupid question of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid question of the day

So this may seem obvious to some, but I really have no idea. So I'm in the final phases of rebuilding by GS and am thinking of relocating the key ignition mechanism when I thought how the heck does the handlebars lock in position. Normally when you turn the key to the off position you can lock the handlebars in place, but what mechanism actually does this and by relocating the key will this change that functionality? Thanks and feel free to give me crap if this is dumbest question you've heard in awhile?

the key operates a little plunger which locates into the headstock stem, therefore locking it in position. if you relocate the ignition switch then this will obviously not work.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Is there anything way to lock the handlebars without using the ignition?

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
        Is there anything way to lock the handlebars without using the ignition?
        Get a rotor lock.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
          Normally when you turn the key to the off position you can lock the handlebars in place, ...
          Your bike must be REALLY different from all the rest.

When I turn my key to the OFF position, the handlebars (forks) are still free to move.

Nothing is locked until I move the key one more position to LOCK.

As others have already mentioned, it would be quite obvious that if you move the key/lock mechanism that contains the pin that locks the forks, the forks will not lock.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Your bike must be REALLY different from all the rest.

When I turn my key to the OFF position, the handlebars (forks) are still free to move.

Nothing is locked until I move the key one more position to LOCK.

As others have already mentioned, it would be quite obvious that if you move the key/lock mechanism that contains the pin that locks the forks, the forks will not lock.

I can't remember which for certain, but to lock the forks either required turning the key fully to the right, depressing it and turning it on more notch, or if locking, depressing and turning two positions to the left. The first position to the left was parking light, 2nd position was fork lock.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              I can't remember which for certain, but to lock the forks either required turning the key fully to the right, depressing it and turning it on more notch, or if locking, depressing and turning two positions to the left. The first position to the left was parking light, 2nd position was fork lock.
              On all of the GS bikes that I have seen, there have been four positions. For right now, let's just number them 1 through 4, starting at the far left.
              1 - LOCK
              2 - OFF
              3 - ON
              4 - PARK

In the LOCK position, the forks can be turned to either extreme, where they are mechanically restrained. The key probably needs to be pushed in a bit to get to this position from #2.

In the OFF position. the bike is obviously not running, but the handlebars are free to turn.

In the ON position, the ignition, lights and basically everything else electrical is turned on, ready to ride.

In the PARK position, the forks can be locked, just like in the LOCK position, but the tail light is also turned ON, which is a supposed safety feature if you are stranded on a highway, but it tends to run the battery down in an hour or so.

Because of problems inherent in 30-year-old mechanisms that have had minimal, if any, maintenance, most of us do not use the LOCK position, as there have been reports of not being able to get it out of there.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If I do decide to mount the ignition mechanism back on the bike which part of the mechanism activates the pin in the neck? Since I won't be using the instrument cluster it's really only going to be plugged into the electrical. I see a pin on the backside of the mechanism, but don't see that it will be attached to anything.

Comment

its all part of the ignition switch. if you turn the key to the LOCK position you will see the pin come out
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                  X