1979 suzuki gs750L speedo dust cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 suzuki gs750L speedo dust cover

These are hard to find, can anyone help me. Ive looked everywhere for this dust cover and can not find one. Is it that important to have one?

Does it look like this ......? This is for tach though

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I think you mean the dust cover down at the wheel that covers the speedo gear. I've got a few extra's if you need one, and yes they are important. It's actually fairly important to disassemble your speedo gear after 30 yrs and re grease it. If it seizes up from dirt and grime you'll make a quick mess of your rim and make that useless in the process.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I was able to find the dust cover, but now have a new problem. The front wheel looks like its shifting to the side opposite of the speedo gear box. I tightened both sides of the axle equally. . I have an 79E model and the schematics that I found on line say that its supposed to have a spacer that looks to go into the fork tube over the axle. This works for the right side, but for the left there is no more room for a spacer to fit into the tube. The axle wouldnt be able to fit. some models show the spacer, some do not. any advice?

Comment

picture of what you have done thus far would be a help, you've probably got the spacers in wrong or something simple like that. I do it all the time.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I will take a pic when i get home and post them for you. I just feel like something isn't right. The speedo gearbox is also rotating with the wheel, which I don't think is supposed to happen, so I know I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I have something similar going on. My speedo quit working, when I disassembled the front wheel I found the ears on the driven piece ripped off and the gears frozen from dirt and brake dust. I have cleaned and regreased it a couple years ago but I did not install the dust cover which mounts on top of the rotor, and I'm not convinced there was one present when I got the bike. I bought a NOS dust cover and a gearbox from a 79'(something). The parts look right but when I tried putting it together last night the shoulder on the gearbox sits so tightly on the dust cover that the wheel doesn't spin freely. When I pulled it apart again I found the wheel bearings no longer properly seated in the wheel: I can move the bearing housing in the wheel with my finger.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Guess I should have asked "what kind of oil should I use"...

Comment

Working...
                X