rear brake line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear brake line

Project for tomorrow is rear brake system rebuild. Have OEM seals for MC and caliper, and a new SS brake line. The line is quite a bit smaller diameter than the original, trying to think of the best way to secure it. I was thinking about short lengths of rubber fuel line secured with heat shrink tube where it fits through the clamps on the chassis and swing arm. Or would you just zip tie it?

Also wondering if anyone has positive or negative experience with DOT 5.1 brake fluid compared to DOT4?
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

That works fine I did that on my 850 1" piece of fuel hose with a slit cut into it

Comment

No need to zip tie or heat shrink, the correct size fuel line with a slit in it will fit fairly snugly, you can also bend the brake line tabs a bit. Good project to do for sure, unfortunately it doesn't improve the rear braking much. It does 10 fold on the front, but the rear still tends to be weak. Still very good maintenance though.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I zip tied mine but eventually I would like to engineer a little more professional solution.

Comment

What I used for mine is that plastic coil tubing with a slit in it. It comes in different sizes. It is available at any auto parts store and comes in different lengths for a few dollars.

Comment

I used the originAl rubber grommet and rubber tubing on the current one and the last one I did. No worries at all, it will stay in place:

Comment

The Shaftie is a bit different, here is a shot with the fuel line. It is one size too big and not the best looking solution but I'm SURE it is better than a 34 year old rubber line....

sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
              X