Manual/Help anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual/Help anyone?

Hey there guys, so I am trying to clean my carbs up this weekend, but I have no idea how to go about working with this style of car set-up, and I want to go about it the right way, instead of just pulling and yanking on things until they come off. I already have a suspect fuel line (at least from what I think) and I do not want to ruin anything else.

That being said, is there any post on this forum that outlines the process of removing/re-installing the carbs? Or is there anyone who has a link to download a manual? I found a few manuals for $40 or so, but I am just trying to keep from spending more money since I just pretty much overpaid for this bike! I downloaded a manual for GS models 77-82, but there is hardly any info on the GS 550L's. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

The 550 is one of the harder ones to pull carbs from. You will probably need to move the airbox back an inch, by removing the battery holder and the inner fender.

Then just loosen the clamps under the front of each carb and pull them off. Tip the carb rack either up or down, whichever gives the most space, take it part way out to the right, unhook the throttle cables, pulll it the rest of the way out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      The 550 is one of the harder ones to pull carbs from. You will probably need to move the airbox back an inch, by removing the battery holder and the inner fender.

Then just loosen the clamps under the front of each carb and pull them off. Tip the carb rack either up or down, whichever gives the most space, take it part way out to the right, unhook the throttle cables, pulll it the rest of the way out.
      Sounds easy enough. On my old GL it was as easy as 2 screws in both intake manifolds securing them to the engine block, pulling the carbs out of the airbox, then taking the three cables off. This may be a bit more difficult, but I'm up to the challenge

Any small parts like springs, screws, etc. that I need to look out for taht could possibly drop?

Also, BTW, everyone, I found a link that seems to be for this year/style of bike if anyone is interested:

Comment

Originally posted by mike1414 View Post

Any small parts like springs, screws, etc. that I need to look out for taht could possibly drop?
        Not in taking them out. There are a couple later like on the fuel and air screws but they are easy.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X