Gs 750t wont start?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 750t wont start?!

i have been messing around with an 83 gs750t but I cant get it to start.. it turns over, gets spark on all 4 and ive cleaned the carbs no difference wont do anything when i turn it over except it randomly farted/backfired once and a bit of smoke came out of the pipes but thats it and strangly enough i can spray as much carb cleaner and it doesn't do a thing starter seems like its turning the bike over a little slowly but the battery is fully charged maybe i need a new starter? also seems strange starter fluid didnt do ANYTHING drop a little gas down the spark plug holes....nothing. brand new spark plugs battery is good...

starter fluid* not carb cleaner lool

Comment

Just for the heck of it, feel free to check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature. It may trigger something.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

lol fair enough. to be honest the airbox is off annnd the bike was seized a week ago so i guess i cant expect much lol.. bike hasn't ran for a year and a half according to previous owner and he thought the starter was bad so yeah i got it unseized and it seemed to have compression so i thought oh hey maybe the rings and pistons arent pooched (most likely wrong?) i may attempt to rebuild the airbox and see if that changes anything when that doesnt do anything i guess maybe scratch my head at the idea of finding a starter, adjusting valves, changing all this stator nonesense and ohh who knows rebuild the engine?:P oh boy where to start:P

Comment

Originally posted by TravisGs750t View Post
          i have been messing around with an 83 gs750t.....
          In your messing around did you (or PO) mix up plug wires ? sitting on bike, left coil fires 1 and 4 while right fires 2 and 3 (number 1 is under clutch hand). Head to that newbie mistake stuff ! Since it's been sitting and is likely to have been neglected maintenance wise, best to assume the worst. Oh, and be real skeptical of PO's statements!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yeah thats one of the first things i started wondering about. they are on right 1 4 left 2 3 right coil one question in the right side engine side cover theres a sleeve in the center when i was trying to unseize (on the wrong side i assume) one of the bolt pins broke in the process of taking it off to fix it i accidentaklly pulled out that sleeve that spins behind those two bolts...it only goes on two ways if it on backwards would that affect timing? also i had to unscrew the thing the points would normally be on if it was a motor with points.. so if shifts slightly does that affect timing?

Comment

......also i had to unscrew the thing the points would normally be on if it was a motor with points.. so if shifts slightly does that affect timing?
              Does "the thing " look light this setup in link below?

If so ,did you remove bolt #5 and extract the assembly #4 ???
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Where are you? Maybe someone from the GSR is close enough to stop by and check things out with you.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Wish I could help, Pains me to see a T in distress, but I've never had any of my right side covers off.

Also I've never had any of those issues with my T's, although I can tell you unless you already had it running like a top it won't start or will be very hard to start without the airbox.

I used to have to wind on mine to get to fire up, now all my running T's start so easy they are running before i can let go of the start button.

I didn't read anything about a valve adjustment either, that needs to be checked first and foremost. Especially if you bought the bike cheap because it just kept getting harder and harder for the previous owner to get it started and keep it running.

Was it seized from sitting without having plugs in it? If so there will be a ring on the cylinder wall left from the rust from the piston rings. It shouldn't be a big deal but you will find you'll burn through oil a little faster, and will need rings sooner than if it had been stored with plugs in it.

My knowledge and experience about running a previously seized engine without addressing the reason it was seized (in the case of storage without plugs in) is based in automotive engines, but the principles should be the same.

I do wish you the best of luck though, you'll love your new GS when you get it squared away.

Comment

yes that is definitely "the Thing" as for why it seized not sure plugs were in when i got it but it was very low on oil so im guessing thats why... thanks for the encouragement! is there a link for adjusting the valves? and i saw i diagram explaining how to check the timing but i cant find it.. and im in Whitby Ontario if anybody lives close and wants to come have a look

Comment

and yes i did remove bolt #5 and extract the assembly #4....didnt really mean to and it was bugger to get back in without taking #3 off...

Comment

and yes i did remove bolt #5 and extract the assembly #4....didnt really mean to and it was bugger to get back in without taking #3 off...
                        Hmmmm... when you reinstalled #4 did you make sure it engaged in locating pin on crankshaft?? This orients timing properly to crank. Best to just remove #3 plate entirely and check that #4 assembly is in right spot (on pin) on crankshaft- otherwise your timing is way off.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

more black carbon than rust in cylinders...carbon/black grit if you look in intake (where carbs go on) old plugs where also black..maybe from runnning with low/no oil? and or with airbox removed? used deisel, seafoam , brake fluid, and a LITTLE marvel mystery LOL worked pretty good.. went from stuck to smooth pretty quick....drained it out and added motorcycle oil.

Comment

when i put #4 back in it seemed like there was only two ways you could get it in those two spring loaded clip things... ill have to look again but theres like two grooves you have to line up to slide into the spring loaded clips/clamps so you can put it in one way or spin it and put it in another..

Comment

when #4 popped out i took #3 off to get #4 back in but realized you could put it in two ways not sure if it maters but i was wonder if #3 shifted slightly if that would throw anything off as well..

Comment

Working...
                              X