Real Gaskets... over torqued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Gaskets... over torqued?

The other day i was finishing up my valve adjustment and I ordered Real Gaskets to put in. I read on BassCliff's tutorial that the bolts should be torqued around 7 ft lbs, so I went out to the ol' trusty Harbor Freight and picked up a torque wrench. It was not soon after torquing a few bolts that I realized something was off. The gasket was getting squeezed so much that It was slipping out from between the two surfaces. I shrugged and continued torquing all of the bolts until I read the instructions on the Real Gasket's packaging. No more than 15 INCH lbs. YIKES. My torque wrench wouldn't even give me inch lbs reading, so I just retorqued to a little tighter than finger tight.

So I guess my questions are,

Did I ruin my gasket by torquing too much?

A little tighter than finger tight seems like where the torque should be, but should I go out and buy another torque wrench for this?

Take it out and see if it's ruined.

If you didn't run it and get it hot it might not be.

Finger tight and a touch more is what those gaskets need. Might need a spot of low strength LockTite to keep the screws in.

If you didn't get it hot it might not be.

HF has a inch pound torue wrench that works, it's cheap. You can't hear the click, you have to pay attention nd feel it but it works if you are careful.

But 15 inch pounds is too small to use it. Just go easy and watch the gasket. If it starts to squish out you went too far.
    Last edited by tkent02; 04-04-2014, 11:25 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by c3powil View Post
      The other day i was finishing up my valve adjustment and I ordered Real Gaskets to put in. I read on BassCliff's tutorial that the bolts should be torqued around 7 ft lbs, so I went out to the ol' trusty Harbor Freight and picked up a torque wrench. It was not soon after torquing a few bolts that I realized something was off. The gasket was getting squeezed so much that It was slipping out from between the two surfaces. I shrugged and continued torquing all of the bolts until I read the instructions on the Real Gasket's packaging. No more than 15 INCH lbs. YIKES. My torque wrench wouldn't even give me inch lbs reading, so I just retorqued to a little tighter than finger tight.

So I guess my questions are,

Did I ruin my gasket by torquing too much?

A little tighter than finger tight seems like where the torque should be, but should I go out and buy another torque wrench for this?
      I have an ole style beam torque wrench that works perfect for this. I have rather had that one from HR, it's in the land fill now. Matter of fact two of HR torque wrenches are RIP in a land fill.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Another tip for the Real Gasket. Make sure the gasket itself and the mating surfaces are clean and dry. Any oil will make it much easier for the gasket to slide out of place.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

As many problems of leakage, ripping, and bolts being lost with these, I find it hard to believe anyone would really want to use one.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Agreed. The stock gasket with some anti-seize or WD-40 is the way to go.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

OEM is the way to go...worked great for my Valve Cover and Oil Pan. No more leaks for this "T" owner.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Had a Real Gasket on my first 850 and didn't like it. Anything more than figer tight with the screws and the thing squirmed out of place. Another vote for OEM gaskets.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Had a Real Gasket on my first 850 and didn't like it. Anything more than figer tight with the screws and the thing squirmed out of place. Another vote for OEM gaskets.
                  Same here. For me, the extended reusability wasn't worth the extra fussiness. Some people like them. I didn't.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                  X