How to make an 850 able to tour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make an 850 able to tour.

So, I have been working on my 850 since I got it and I've finally decided what my goal is. I want to take my 850 on the 600 mile round trip that my family makes every year for the fourth of July.

My question is what do I need to do to it so that I don't have to worry about it breaking down.

So far I've done the following:
    Cleaned the carbs
    Complete valve job.
    Valve adjustment
    Oil change (all three)
    New air filter

I've got planned the following:
    Install sh-775 regulator
    Switch front wheel direction (it's rolling backwards)
    Rebuild brake components and install stainless steel braided lines.

Sorry if there's already a thread on this. I couldn't get the search function to work well.

Looks like you have all the bases covered, tires good?
    Carry a toolkit, some spares (plugs, quart of oil etc.) and away you go!

Comment

Are you SURE the front wheel is backwards?

The wheel itself is different on each side of the hub. The left side will have the notches for the speedo drive, the right side does not.

It is possible to swap the brake disk direction, so check the wheel itself, don't depend on the directionality of the brakes.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Triam View Post
        what do I need to do to it so that I don't have to worry about it breaking down.
        Looks good to me. Hows yer gear. Good cell phone. Better rain suit.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        He probably meant tire.
        Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-05-2014, 08:37 PM.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The wheel itself is different on each side of the hub. The left side will have the notches for the speedo drive, the right side does not.

It is possible to swap the brake disk direction, so check the wheel itself, don't depend on the directionality of the brakes.

Oh, ok. The discs are backwards so I assumed that I just needed to take it off and switch it. If my speedo is working does that mean that I need to take it off and just switch the discs?

Comment

Oh, ok. The discs are backwards so I assumed that I just needed to take it off and switch it. If my speedo is working does that mean that I need to take it off and just switch the discs?
            There is a good chance that it's only the discs, but look for the notches in the wheel hub to be sure.

Back to your original question: How to make an 850 able to tour.
            Click on the link in my sig that shows my 850. That was taken somewhere in Vermont, on our way to meed with member Lurch12_2000 and a few of his friends for a tour around part of New England. Yes, I said "our way" because Mrs. Steve was riding with me. That was a 750-mile, three-day weekend that was all done on the 850 with absolutely no problems. By the way, fuel mileage averaged 41 for the trip.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Put gas in it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Put gas in it.
                Hhahahahaha......you beat me to it.

Comment

The disc works fine either way. I had two rights on one bike for a year or so, no one but me ever noticed. Or was it two lefts?

Comment

There is a good chance that it's only the discs, but look for the notches in the wheel hub to be sure.

Back to your original question: How to make an 850 able to tour.
                    Click on the link in my sig that shows my 850. That was taken somewhere in Vermont, on our way to meed with member Lurch12_2000 and a few of his friends for a tour around part of New England. Yes, I said "our way" because Mrs. Steve was riding with me. That was a 750-mile, three-day weekend that was all done on the 850 with absolutely no problems. By the way, fuel mileage averaged 41 for the trip.

I'm versed in your opinion of fairings. I love the oil cooler, and maybe I should put one of those on as well. I'm not a big fan of the look of the hard bags, although I understand the comfort. It's the same problem that I have with the fairing. Last time I checked my mileage I got about 30 per gallon.... Not fantastic.

Comment

Oil cooler on an 850? What for?

Comment

I love the oil cooler, ...
                        I have an oil cooler???

When did that happen???

I just looked at that picture a bit closer and saw what you might think is a cooler. Right next to the right frame tube is the mount for the fairing. The same thing can be seen on the other side, looking like the tubes on either side of a cooler. Between them are two horns, which make a shadow behind them. That darkness can definitely be interpreted as the rows of a cooler.

Trust me, there is no oil cooler on that bike.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Last time I checked my mileage I got about 30 per gallon.... Not fantastic.
                          Your bike needs some work, which might include some adjustment to the nut that holds the handlebars.

In local town riding, my mileage will dip into the upper 30s. Out on the highway, I have hit 44. That trip was fully-loaded and two-up, with an average of 41.

My wife's 850L (also pictured in my sig) is regularly in the low- to mid-40s, and has gotten over 55 mpg on several tanks on one trip to West Virginia a few years ago.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Your bike needs some work, which might include some adjustment to the nut that holds the handlebars.

In local town riding, my mileage will dip into the upper 30s. Out on the highway, I have hit 44. That trip was fully-loaded and two-up, with an average of 41.

My wife's 850L (also pictured in my sig) is regularly in the low- to mid-40s, and has gotten over 55 mpg on several tanks on one trip to West Virginia a few years ago.

Does that mean that there's something wrong with my bike if I'm getting bad mileage?

Comment

It's an 850. It won't be as good at fuel efficiency as an 1100, or a 750. They just aren't.

It should be in the 40s cruising at moderate speeds anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X