Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100EZ engine noise and it is NOT the clutch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100EZ engine noise and it is NOT the clutch.

My recently purchased GS1100EZ is making a strange rattle after its revved. Sounds bad.

Clutch is pulled in so there is no clutch basket noise.

The carbs have been rebuilt and the bike revs much better than before but there is a bad noise like the cam chain.

Anyone heard this before?
    First time I have started a GS with airbox and original exhaust so its a lot more quite so maybe that's the reason? don't think so.

And a video hope it works

Right does it sound like a cam chain?
    Previous owner just installed new rings........and was MEANT to be a bike mechanic.
    Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

I had a similar sound on my 1150 which turned out to be a loose stator rotor.

I'd probably look there first before you start ripping into the engine internals.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Arronduke View Post
      My recently purchased GS1100EZ is making a strange rattle after its revved. Sounds bad.

Clutch is pulled in so there is no clutch basket noise.

The carbs have been rebuilt and the bike revs much better than before but there is a bad noise like the cam chain.

Right does it sound like a cam chain?
      Previous owner just installed new rings........and was MEANT to be a bike mechanic.
      The things I would check:
      1. Clutch basket. Even when you pull the lever, the basket still turns.
      2. Loose stator or starter clutch.
      3. Cam chain tensioner not installed properly.
      4. Carbs not synchronized, which will aggravate either of the three previous items.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Funny story. Last year I was riding my 1100e to Mid-Ohio for the Vintage motorcycle days. I kept hearing this rattle/metallic sound. I was thinking maybe a valve is out of adjustment. It started to get louder, now I'm thinking the cam lobe/rocker arm were being wiped out... We made it to Mid-Ohio. Well, that evening about 11:00 when it was sort of quiet these guys wanted me to fire up my bike and make some noise! I was a little tipsy and was almost going to do it, but I thought about the ticking noise and not wanting to do anymore damage to the engine. The next day I was cleaning the bike up a bit. When I was cleaning the exhaust header number one exhaust pipe was loose. Here one of the exhaust flange bolts was gone, the other half backed out! That was the rattle... Once again my Suzuki kept me out of trouble by not disturbing the peace...
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Your 82 has an 83 motor!
          That's a good thing.
          Big end crank rotors/starter clutches hardly ever fail.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The things I would check:
            1. Clutch basket. Even when you pull the lever, the basket still turns.
            2. Loose stator or starter clutch.
            3. Cam chain tensioner not installed properly.
            4. Carbs not synchronized, which will aggravate either of the three previous items.

I will check clutch basket and stator.
            Carbs have not been set up properly only with a small drill to set butterfly heights.

Will report back.
            The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Your 82 has an 83 motor!
              That's a good thing.
              Big end crank rotors/starter clutches hardly ever fail.
              Its an 83 GSX1100E in NZ this is how they came out. With a mixture of what seems like 82 and 83 parts.

Comment

Oh sorry
                You wrote it was an EZ and the Z stands for 82.
                ED would be an 83.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Oh sorry
                  You wrote it was an EZ and the Z stands for 82.
                  ED would be an 83.
                  Well bugger me I did not know that.
                  I thought it was a EZ even through it is an 83.

I learn something everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    Funny story. Last year I was riding my 1100e to Mid-Ohio for the Vintage motorcycle days. I kept hearing this rattle/metallic sound. I was thinking maybe a valve is out of adjustment. It started to get louder, now I'm thinking the cam lobe/rocker arm were being wiped out... We made it to Mid-Ohio. Well, that evening about 11:00 when it was sort of quiet these guys wanted me to fire up my bike and make some noise! I was a little tipsy and was almost going to do it, but I thought about the ticking noise and not wanting to do anymore damage to the engine. The next day I was cleaning the bike up a bit. When I was cleaning the exhaust header number one exhaust pipe was loose. Here one of the exhaust flange bolts was gone, the other half backed out! That was the rattle... Once again my Suzuki kept me out of trouble by not disturbing the peace...
                    Sorry getting a little ****ed off with this noise, don't need people who talk **** getting in evolved in serious repairs. Take this talk and post it on a women's useless husbands gossip page!

Now saying that cant sort the noise, screw driver in ear trick and its the cam chain, off with the head and everything looks mint.

F#CK, F#Ck ..... everything is mint.
                    What could it be.......

Yep you guessed it.
                    Shame......

but .....

Cylinder 3 the exhaust, I can wobble it. 4-2 so loosen ALL the bolts and cylinder three is not right. To add all the other bolts were like torqued down. Cylinder three was gorilla tight trying to fix the issue.

All looking good.

Yep the third cylinder exhaust. Not right, done up supper strong.
                    Have not started it but the header wobbles when held tight. The way the noise happened after the big rev now makes sense.

Cam chain did not, noise came late.

Not proven, but confident.

And....... very sorry for the attack..! who would have thought?
                    hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa beer time.
                    Last edited by Arronduke; 04-10-2014, 05:47 AM.

Comment

To add. The two inside cylinders had the inserts. The outer two did not.

Cylinder 1,2,4 were tight, 3 I could shake it but the bolts were tight.

Insert all F#cked up, but why no inserts on the outer two?

Now study the picture.

Comment

Sorry you didn't like my stupid little story Arronduke. But if I posted it on the "women's useless husband gossip page" you would have never read it and would still be chasing your rattle... I'm biting my tongue right now.
                        My Motorcycles:
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)

Comment

Storm.... I loved your story.

That's the best bit.

Sorry was trying to be funny.

Cant believe that it was the same problem..... with out your story I would never had tried to wiggle the exhaust.

Sorry did not mean to offend.
                          NZ humor... bit unique some times.

Comment

Haha, It's all good. After rereading your post I thought maybe you were just being sarcastic. I'm glad you found your engine noise.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)

Comment

Working...
                            X