front sprocket washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front sprocket washer

Can anyone tell me if I can reuse the washer that is between the front sprocket and the nut that holds it in place? Or should I buy a new one?

Use a new unbent section of the washer to reuse it. Bending the same section again may break it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I didn't realize it was bent. I'll have to check it again more closely. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

You are talking about the lockwasher you bend up around the bolt to keep it from coming off?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          You are talking about the lockwasher you bend up around the bolt to keep it from coming off?
          I'm on my phone, so I can't pull up a parts fiche, but it's the first washer that's after the 32mm nut. I haven't looked at it very closely, so I'm not sure if it's bent.

Comment

Once you torque down the 32 mm nut, you bend one side of the washer up against one face of the nut, to provide a lock

I just installed a new OEM nut, noticed it came with thread locker on the threads
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Washer

There's a similar washer on the hub around the clutch basket. I have a new one I ordered for the next time I venture into another clutch job.

Definitely do not bend it in the same area...it will weaken and snap off as was stated above.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                There's a similar washer on the hub around the clutch basket. I have a new one I ordered for the next time I venture into another clutch job.

Definitely do not bend it in the same area...it will weaken and snap off as was stated above.

Ed

Any harm in re-using the washer and nut that is on there now (as long as I bend it in a different spot)? Or should I just get a new one?

Comment

Ed
                  Good to know. Changing the clutch springs and checking the plates is my next priority after replacing this chain.

Comment

Bendable Washer

Originally posted by AX2007 View Post
                    Any harm in re-using the washer and nut that is on there now (as long as I bend it in a different spot)? Or should I just get a new one?
                    Shouldn't be a problem as was stated by tkent.

Originally posted by AX2007 View Post
                    Good to know. Changing the clutch springs and checking the plates is my next priority after replacing this chain.
                    I just went ahead and bought the $1.50 OEM washer along with other items I needed. Been averaging about $25 per order on: partsoutlaw.com.

I've got the rear drums to do yet but when I do, I might just do the 530 conversion and also add a fork brace from here:

So many things to look forward to. I also want to have the local machine shop fabricate some side covers for me. My bike has come a long way and I have the GSR and its members to thank for that.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem as was stated by tkent.

I just went ahead and bought the $1.50 OEM washer along with other items I needed. Been averaging about $25 per order on: partsoutlaw.com.

I've got the rear drums to do yet but when I do, I might just do the 530 conversion and also add a fork brace from here:

So many things to look forward to. I also want to have the local machine shop fabricate some side covers for me. My bike has come a long way and I have the GSR and its members to thank for that.

Ed
                      Do you think that fork brace will make a big difference in the front end stability? On my bike, the front end always felt a little squirrely, but it might just be the craptastic tires.

I plan on making fiberglass sidecovers by making forms from the sidecovers I have now. I would use the ones I have, but one of them is cracked, plus I think I can put in metal tabs instead of plastic ones to hold them in place.

Comment

Working...
                      X