All go, No Whoa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All go, No Whoa!

I recently replaced all the disc's, pads, hoses and a right hand calliper on GS850, and had a professional mechanic bleed and check the brakes, no problems I thought, all works well.
    Until, I finished some repairs on the electrics of the bike and started it.
    Just by pure chance I noticed the front reservoir cup had a very slight inward bulge to it.
    After taking off the cover (mirror came off first because of the fairing) I pressed the rectanglular shaped cup and noticed brake fluid had leaked onto the control section, no good.
    Check out the photo, the side has just crumbled in and the plastic comes away in my fingers.
    The cup was so brittle from age, it actually started to crumple into the reservoir, and very carefully I soaked up what fluid remained.
    I've ordered a new "kit" from McCulloch Suzuki in Perth, and all up $77 for a new lid, screws, rubber and cup, and O-ring.
    The bike wrecker wanted $120 for a second hand one, that's going back tomorrow for a refund.
    Just a word of caution, check your brake cups as this one looked ok a few weeks ago, and had I lost front brakes while riding it might of been hairy trying to pull up quickly.

I've seen that.
    Another reason to do the work yourself.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A little late now but, the '81 all metal M/C is a direct replacement.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
        X