Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotter pin technique

How's my cotter pin technique?

And yes, that's a paper clip on the rear brake arm nut. I can't find a cotter pin thin enough.

Finishing up my chain adjustment, I was using my new Sears beam torque wrench, trying to tighten the rear axle nut to 75 foot-pounds (manual says 61.5 - 83). Before I got there, the bike was tipping off the stand. I guess it's tight enough.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Put the wench so you push straight down on the handle. It won't go anywhere. Get a real cotter pin and put it in right. This is serious ****.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I didn't think anyone needed to be told how to use cotter pins, but the last 3 suspension setups I've pulled apart drove me absolutely nuts, so apparently it's not commonly known information. To avoid cursing your past self, here's how you want to put a cotter pin in: Another acceptable way...

Comment

Try a hitch pin, works on mine and is easier at adjustment time.
        1980 GS1000E

Comment

Harbor Freight sells a 500-piece cotter pin assortment for like $5, go get it.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I am sure that you might also be able to find a camera that does not take pictures upside-down, too.

I just LOVE "smart" phones and "smart" tablets that take pictures.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Outside of the US in the real world ,lol, these are called split pins.A cotter pin is a locating and clamping variation of a bolt like you would find on the kickstart of a preunit bsa or on the cotter cranks of a bicycle

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I am sure that you might also be able to find a camera that does not take pictures upside-down, too.

I just LOVE "smart" phones and "smart" tablets that take pictures.

Well, I've got this iPad 2, that's what I've been using to take all the upside down photos.

If you can believe it, I don't have a smart phone. I hate them, and all cell phones, make that ALL phones, so much. But I'll probably break down and get the latest iPhone or whatever soon. It's getting hard to get batteries for my "flip" phone, and I have to be immediately reachable 24 hours a day (sick, close relative that I care for).
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
                  Try a hitch pin, works on mine and is easier at adjustment time.
                  I used to use those. They fell out too often.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Well, I've got this iPad 2, that's what I've been using to take all the upside down photos.
                    Just out of curiosity, if you turn your iPad over and take a picture, does it show up correctly?

It is my guess that the correct "up" information is stored somehow in the picture file. Another "smart" device can read and interpret it, and will show it correctly. However, those of us who are cursed with REAL COMPUTERS are resigned to seeing it in various other orientations.

That's my guess, I'm going to have to stick to it until proven one way or the other.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nah, just checked on my Droid, it's still upside down.

Comment

I replace all of those flimsy aluminum cotter pins with tight fitting STEEL hitch pins. The factory might be trying to save a few bucks in the name of production costs but I prefer to spend a couple more for the safety of STEEL.

Comment

The cotter pins are steel.

Comment

Grade crappy steel. Try bending those hitch pins like those cotter pins by hand.

Comment

Well I've had a lot more hitch pins fall out than cotter pins. I'll stick with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X