K&N filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N filter

I have a new-to-me 1981 650GL. I was taking things apart last night and found what looks to be a K&N air filter in the airbox. I checked the K&N site and they do not make an air filter for this model, but perhaps they did in the past? The bike hasn't been on the road since 1993 so it's definitely an old filter. It looks to be in good condition though. Does anyone know if K&N used to make an air filter for this bike?

Thanks!
    K

does it have K&N stamped on the filter anywhere? if it doesn't, then it isn't.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I didn't look that closely, but will tonight. Who else makes a reusable filter?

Comment

A lot of impostors make them. Some are worthless, some worse than worthless, some are actually OK.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I saw one on Ebay several years ago, claimed to be K&N, I believe they did make them once upon a time, but I think that the fitment/design was of a very particular nature (as is the stock foam), and that unless there was a fair amount of precision in the molding of the plastic 'surround', it would probably leak extra air into the induction process. All half-ass guess work on my part, but a plausible scenario.
          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Post a picture!
            Possibly a4 wheel auto that made fitment?

Comment

I'll post a pic later this evening.

Comment

Here's a picture of the filter. It sure seems like a K&N but there is no name on it anywhere. I sprayed it with K&N cleaner and it came out really well. It fits perfectly into the air box and was definitely made for this model.

Comment

You forgot the picture :-P

Nevermind, it's up now.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2014, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Yes they made a filter for that model
                    I bought a inventory of NOS parts from the dealer next door and had 2-3 of those
                    Plus alot of other models. I have since sold most of them.I just kept what fit my bikes.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
                      Here's a picture of the filter. It sure seems like a K&N but there is no name on it anywhere. I sprayed it with K&N cleaner and it came out really well. It fits perfectly into the air box and was definitely made for this model.
                      Looks like a good filter yet, let it dry good and reoil it. My K&N is going on 34 years old.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X