stripped head on clutch cover bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped head on clutch cover bolt

So with an impact driver I somehow managed to strip one head on the final bolt I was removing from the clutch cover.

Read a bit and decided to chisel a notch for a flat head. Have applied penetrating oil twice... wiggled with a flat head.

Now before I hit this with the impact screwdriver again, this time with a flat head, any other ideas? I really want this thing out without any more excitement.

Vice/mole grips.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Failing the impact or the Vice Grips, drill it until the head pops off, remove the cover and then pull it out. But the impact should work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I would just drill it off, just go far enough when the head pops off. Had to do that to a friends clutch cover, he stripped out every screw. Just took a bit that was about the same size as the head and drilled it until the head just pretty much fell off. 12 times, not one mess up. Once the cover is off, take a pair of vice grips to the remaining stud and screw it out. Should be easy since there is no pressure on the screw then.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Try tightening the other bolts again and then try to take this one out.
          It may take some of the pressure off this one.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGS1000 View Post
            Now before I hit this with the impact screwdriver again, this time with a flat head, any other ideas? I really want this thing out without any more excitement.

Cut the slot almost flush with the cover and when you hit the impact use a REAL hammer like a 3-4 pound baby sledge and REALLY MEAN IT! You have one try to not screw it up worse.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the quick response.

Tried the vice grips, no go.

Then drilled the head off removed the cover and bingo, the remaining bolt screwed out by hand.

Thanks all and Bill for the drill tip.

Now go to clutch forum in a bit for a scary video (If I can figure out posting it quick) on how loose the center shaft is... Wow.

Comment

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet: HEAT!

It works better than you'd think!

You can always heat up a screw-driver bit on the stove, then hold it on the screw head for 30 seconds or so. Or, if you DO have a torch/lighter, use that to heat up the screw a bit.

PB Blaster is flammable, so wipe it down before you heat it up. It might smoke a bit, but it's fine as long as there's not a puddle of it.

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                  I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet: HEAT!

It works better than you'd think!

You can always heat up a screw-driver bit on the stove, then hold it on the screw head for 30 seconds or so. Or, if you DO have a torch/lighter, use that to heat up the screw a bit.

PB Blaster is flammable, so wipe it down before you heat it up. It might smoke a bit, but it's fine as long as there's not a puddle of it.
                  No need for heat with this application. It's not that big of a deal.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yes I may have hid the big outcome below, but it's all done. Drilled the head off which them allowed the cover to come right off leaving the stud to easily come out. Great advice all, thanks.

Comment

Or you could have also dremeled a fat slot in it and used the flat bit in the impact driver kit.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yah I gave that a try Chuck. Probably just lousy first effort, but I couldn't seem to get the slot right. Both the screwdriver and impact driver kept wanting to jump out.

So I went the other route. I imagine that I should get better at that "cut the slot" method since the next time it's probably going to be a bolt that is threaded immediately into the bike rather than way the clutch cover is bolted.

Comment

Cut them deep and wide so the bit fits way down in there for the best griping power. And dont be afraid to give it a good heavy sharp smack. Dont knock the bike over or shatter anything..but you get the point.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

i can get any of them out with a chisel/punch and hammer...hit the head at an angle and the screw will spin free...been doing it since the british bike days.

Comment

Working...
                            X