GS1000 GL feels like its diving into the corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 GL feels like its diving into the corners

I picked up my first motorcycle, the '81 GS1000 GL, about 5 years ago. After getting a couple newer bikes, a 2004 V-Strom, 1990 DR350, and a 2011 TU250x, my GS sat in the garage for a couple years unused.

Recently, I revived the GS and have noticed that this bike corners pretty poorly compared to my other bikes, especially at slow speeds. First, the bike feels like it just falls into the corner, and I have to continually counterweight the handlebars to keep the front wheel from diving further into the corner. I hope that makes sense. It's very unnatural and distracting. I don't like it at all.

So, I've narrowed it down to a couple things: having an old tire, bad steering head bearings, possibly needing a fork brace, needing progressive fork springs or thicker fork oil. Or is this just the way that the GSL handles? I've experimented with lowering the fork in the triples but it didn't seem to help, it could have made it worse...

Where do you think I should start first? I'll be getting a new front tire this season, so I guess I'll start there.

worn tyre and bad head bearings will cause these problems. replace tyre and replace or adjust head bearings, then see how it feels
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If it's been sat in a garage for a couple of years there are a few things you should do, you said you're getting a new tire, thats good! Tires can effect steering a lot!
      Make sure you have the correct air pressure in them when riding.
      Also you should replace the fork oil. It detoriates over time...

You have bad steering head bearings? replace them asap. When these three things are done you might be in for a surprise

Or at least then you'll have a clean slate to start complaining if anything doesn't feel right

Comment

Everything you listed except the fork brace.

Comment

While you're here, what do you guys recommend for tires?

Comment

Originally posted by LoopGaroo View Post
            While you're here, what do you guys recommend for tires?
            round, rubber ones usually work best
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
              Also you should replace the fork oil. It detoriates over time...
              I replaced the fork seals and changed the oil about 4 years ago. Do you think it should be replaced again? I wonder what the shelf life is on the leftover oil I have since the last time I changed it?

Comment

I think the recommended interval is each year or every two years, cant remember exactly of the top of my head

Comment

The leftover oil will be fine.
                  Install Progressive or Sonic springs while you are in there.
                  The current favorite tire price vs. performance is the Avon RoadRider.

Comment

Working...
                  X