Warm weather commuting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm weather commuting

Or, how hot is too hot.... We are expecting 80s this week,now that the GS is pretty well sorted I am thinking of riding to work once in a while. Stop and go traffic is the norm, but I am worried about overheating. No lane splitting here. Should I be concerned? When is it time to pull over and shut it off?
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Keep that idle as low as you can muster... (I know..., duh.)

Comment

You have nothing at all to worry about. If you're sitting in traffic you need to worry only that you are riding an air cooled bike and after 5 mins of a running engine with no airflow your valves will start to not like you so you need to shut it off. There's nothing wrong with shutting if of and starting it up, you have to in heaving standstill traffic. You can easily go above a 100 and drive all day long.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yeah, wouldn't worry about it. Suzuki would not have sold very many of these bikes if they couldn't idle at stop lights on warm days.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

The worst I've experienced are 1h long border crossings in the mid-90s...too hot to continue wearing helmets and jackets. In those cases, I've resorted to shutting the bike down, and pushing it. I restart it for the uphills

I believe you'll be okay just riding and not worrying about it. I dunno about Eastern Washington though. I've been through there when it was literally hot enough to cook an egg on the sidewalk...where's Maple Valley?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

What is considered Washington hot?

We regularly see heat indicies into the one teens in the summer here. I'll be pleasure cruising at night then.

Comment

I would pull over in 140 F ambient temperature.
              I have ridden in 110 degrees with no ill effects to the bike.

Comment

I'm planning to ride to work tomorrow for the first time this year. I live in Federal Way and work at UW Seattle, my usual riding route to work is either Lake Washington Blvd or Rainier Ave. In the morning everything is smooth sailing, but the afternoon traffic is definitely stop and go in places, no issues the last 3 years in temps well into the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                  Yeah, wouldn't worry about it. Suzuki would not have sold very many of these bikes if they couldn't idle at stop lights on warm days.
                  What he said, if they did sell such crappy bikes none would still be running. I wouldn't even think about worrying about it until well above 110 degrees or more. If you don get to a place where it's too hot don't leave it runnning when stopped at lights. Easy enough. Around the Seattle area that's just not going to happen.

Still if you are stuck and completely stopped in traffic common sense would tell you to shut it off after a while, or if becomes obvious you will be stopped for a while. Letting it idle it too long is a bad idea even if the weather isn't all that hot. That's what electric starters are for. Some liquid cooled bikes get hotter quicker from what I've seen. When water burps out it's probably a good time to shut it off for a while if you can't get moving.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

Still if you are stuck and completely stopped in traffic common sense would tell you to shut it off after a while, or if becomes obvious you will be stopped for a while.
                    Reminds me of my '68 Camaro; I used to shut it off in traffic. No power brakes, no power steering, tape deck wired straight to the battery (yeah, I know).
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

A stinking hot August day in London, all day in and around the city, then home, saw the rings wave me goodbye the next morning. No compression worth talking about on any cylinder. That engine had done 140K at that point though, so it didn't come as a great surprise that something would go wrong. When I took the barrels off there was no wear anywhere, either to pistons or cylinders. Only needed rings.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My friend with a Concours says some days are too hot to ride. Never heard of such silliness. Air-cooled rules. Fairings (and radiators) suck.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Anything over 110 here in the desert it's too hot to ride. You need to keep the face shield closed while riding otherwise your in a blast furnace. It's a dry heat though right...

I rode back from San Diego last August and it was 113, I couldn't drink enough water. Dehydration is a real threat in wx like that. I was stopping every 75 - 100 miles to rehydrate and stand under a hose somewhere along the way.

Only time I can say I would have rather been in a cage.

Cheers

Oh, and by the way my "G" ran great with no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
                            Anything over 110 here in the desert it's too hot to ride. You need to keep the face shield closed while riding otherwise your in a blast furnace. It's a dry heat though right...

I rode back from San Diego last August and it was 113, I couldn't drink enough water. Dehydration is a real threat in wx like that. I was stopping every 75 - 100 miles to rehydrate and stand under a hose somewhere along the way.

Only time I can say I would have rather been in a cage.

Cheers

Oh, and by the way my "G" ran great with no complaints.
                            Rode my 1100E in Tempe all the time in city traffic, no ill effects. It IS hard on the rider though! At the time my bike ran hot, due to non-stock exhaust, with no carb re-jetting, but it still did ok. If these beasts can make it in the AZ desert, they can make it anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              My friend with a Concours says some days are too hot to ride. Never heard of such silliness. Air-cooled rules. Fairings (and radiators) suck.

Guess you haven't ridden in the southwest heat have ya. I've been riding in this heat now 34 years now. When it starts hitting the 105 degree mark, ain't gonna do it. Made the mistake of riding one day without checking for that days temps for the late afternoon. 118 degrees that day. I hit that temp right at its peak for the day say 3:30pm A 56 mile ride from Alamogordo through the White Sands Missile range to home turned into torture. No trees, no shade, no where to hide. Ask GSXRED he has been through twice now, though not with the heat yet lol.

Now that I'm pushing 60, not able to handle summer heat like I used too. I can tolerate 100-105, higher then that I look for a place to wait and let it cool down in the evening. When I was younger and dumber and still full of c...um never mind, heat? what heat? heat don't brother me any! What I mean by younger I was 29 when I started riding lol.
                              Last edited by mrbill5491; 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X