Are these the right parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these the right parts?

I have lost all trust for G&S Suzuki. I posted in the past that some orders went wrong (most notably, a gasket folded in half). Well, I got another delivered today and it had some issues. I'm never ordering from them again.

Anyway, I got these parts: Oil drain plug and washer, as well as two petcock bolt gaskets.

The oil drain washer is all metal...is that right? The one the PO had on it is a white plastic washer. Also, the new drain plug has a weird thing in the middle of it.

Also, those two petcock bolt gaskets are metal on the outside and rubber on the inside. They also don't look new at all. Regardless, are they the right ones? The ones I took off of my old petcock were of a paper-type gasket, not metal or rubber.

Originally posted by srg View Post
    I have lost all trust for G&S Suzuki. I posted in the past that some orders went wrong (most notably, a gasket folded in half). Well, I got another delivered today and it had some issues. I'm never ordering from them again.

Anyway, I got these parts: Oil drain plug and washer, as well as two petcock bolt gaskets.

The oil drain washer is all metal...is that right? The one the PO had on it is a white plastic washer. Also, the new drain plug has a weird thing in the middle of it.

Also, those two petcock bolt gaskets are metal on the outside and rubber on the inside. They also don't look new at all. Regardless, are they the right ones? The ones I took off of my old petcock were of a paper-type gasket, not metal or rubber.

Can't see anything here at work but:

Oil drain plug seal is essentially the same as what's on your spark plug, so yes, it's supposed to be metal.

Is that thing in the middle of your oil drain plug a round magnet? That's supposed to be there to grab any metallic bits that might go by.

The petcock bolt seal washers do indeed have an inner diameter of rubber. This keeps the fuel from leaking out through the threads of the bolts. The body of the petcock has a o-rind that seals it to the tank.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Nice to see that you have finally given up on G&S.

Feel free to join those of us who have moved to Parts Outlaw, formerly Boulevard Suzuki.

Right parts? As far as I can tell, yes, those are correct.

The drain plug is rather obvious. The washer for it is a metal crush washer. Yes, some have used plastic washers, but the factory used a metal one.

The petcock washers are also correct. They might not look "new" because they might have come off the assembly line 30 years ago, but they appear to be in decent condition. The rubber insert is to seal the gas around the bolt threads. You should have an o-ring that seals the petock body to the fuel tank. Someone might have installed a paper gasket "just because", but that does not mean it was originally meant that way.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ah, never trust the PO. He must've found replacement parts at a local hardware store instead of getting OEM. It didn't occur to me that the oil drain plug would have a magnet in it, but it makes perfect sense. None of what I got matches what I took off the bike, heh.

Thanks!

Comment

Since the washer is a crush washer, is it something that can't be reused?

Comment

That is correct
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Srg, have you got the part# handy for the petcock bolt washer?

09168-06023 or 09168-06010?
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Actually, you can reuse the washer.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Srg, have you got the part# handy for the petcock bolt washer?

09168-06023 or 09168-06010?
                  09168-06023.

09168-06010 is the old number for it. It was replaced by the "23" one.

Comment

I got tired of trying to remember the crush washer. Ended up swapping that out for a simple fiber washer from ACE hardware of the same dimension. It has been in there for about three years with no drips and still looks to be in great shape.

Oh, and because it locks in place with very little torque it will help those drain plugs last longer.

Cheers

Comment

Drain washer is metal and doesnt need replaced until it starts to leak..after 10 or so oil changes.

The bolt gaskets are exactly as you described..rubber inserts inside a metal ring. They squish to seal the petcock and tank so fuel doesnt migrate down the threads and leak.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

you can get a copper washer that will fit the drain plug, it's softer material and will crush, but can be used a few times as well...

Comment

Working...
                        X