remove throttle cable at switch end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remove throttle cable at switch end.

My 79 GS1000N pull throttle cable has one cable strand broken at the carb end.

I assume that's a big deal and it should be replaced? Trying to get the cable off at the switch end. I've loosened the lock nut at the switch and unscrewed the silver cable end from the switch... now the cable heads up into a hole in the bottom of the switch (by switch I mean the unit with the starter button)... don't see how I get it off without dismantling the switch.

There are two screws in the bottom of the switch...loosening one loosened the whole switch and right grip on the bar..

Any tips on getting the cable out properly?

You have to take the switch apart to get the cable disconnected. The switch won't have any small parts falling out when you take the two screws out, it will just come apart in two pieces. From there you can easily pull the cable off the throttle tube.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Comment

You are correct that your cable is toast. I don't mind using Motion Pro for throttle cables, but for a clutch cable, I would go OEM. Motion pro on your bike, which has two cables, I believe, will have black plactic instead of chrome at the twist grip for those curved tubes. I bought one for my '78.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I would just use the other cable as the new pull cable. I believe the two are the same cable on all GS models. It works fine with only one.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

yep, just swap them over and run with one cable. works fine.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I wondered about swapping them as an option and using the slightly weekend one as the return.... Already ordered the replacement but thanks for the ideas. I'll probably feel safer that way anyway (even if it is extremely unlikely to be needed)

Comment

I would not use a frayed throttle cable. My personal experience is that the frayed parts can hang up in the sheath. I don't like for that to happen.

As an aside, the easier throttle pull on the '80 and on CV carb 1000s makes long rides less tiring.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

yes I have to say the pull is a bit much sometimes. The previous owner swapped the grips out for larger diameter ones... not sure if that was to try and help.

Comment

Working...
                  X