1980 gs1000gt JUST PURCHASED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1000gt JUST PURCHASED

I Just bought this bike. I love how it feels and its FAST! However after I got home from a long stop and go ride in hot weather and a fresh tank of gas I noticed the rear tire had oil on it. Then I noticed a trail of oil from where I backed it up to the sidewalk, then I noticed a small puddle of oil underneath the oilpan. It looks like its dripping from two bolts under it. Any ideas please?

Clean off the oil with simple green and a pressure washer or hose and then see if you can pin point the source of the oil, some have used flour or talc powder to find the wet spot.

You may have a leaking drain plug or need a new gasket on the sump.

Photos please, of the bike and the area were it's leaking from.

Welcome to the GS forum, I see it's your first post.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Thank you for your quick response! Its just weird that last nights ride didn't have any leaks and then today it did. I will attempt to clean and find specifically where. Im planning a 200 mile round trip in a few days. I was thinking of just going and hoping the best. Maybe a oil leak stopper additive?

Comment

pic

you can see where the oil trail followed me backing up

Comment

NO, find the leak and fix it. Who knows what that leak stopper will stop up?

Check to see if there is fuel in your oil. A bad petcock can dump a lot of fuel into the crankcase, if the oil is thinned out enough it may find a new leak when it gets hot…

If there's much fuel in the oil don't run it anymore until you change the oil and fix the petcock.

As far as your trip in a few days, it may be wise to catch up on 34 years of neglected maintenance before trying something like that. Previous owners almost never do everything that they should.

Edit, yeah that pic above looks like thinned out oil to me.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

gas smell

I just smelled the crankcase from the oil filler. It smells like gas. I did just fill 5 gallons in. Do you think this is the reason. Like you said a bad petcock? If so can I safely ride it 10 miles to the dealership service dept?

Comment

No, don't start it at all. Can destroy the engine. How far above the proper oil level in the window is the oil now? Sometimes a couple gallons or more of fuel gets in the oil, bad news.

The leak may fix itself or at least slow way down once proper oil is back in the engine. The petcock is a very easy DIY type repair.

Comment

bummer

Do you know the cost of a new petcock and is it hard to replace myself?

Comment

oil level

Its too dark now to see but I will check the level in the morning

Comment

Petcock is $50ish from Z1 Enterprises. Probably more from Suzuki. Very easy to replace. You will need something to put some gasoline in while you replace it.

Comment

You will also need a new oil filter and 4 litres of oil. Something else...your front rotors look an odd colour. By chance do you have some pads sticking? and from the picture your front calipers look to be in an odd position, but it might just be the angle of the picture. Either way you should prop the front of the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground and spin the wheel to make sure it's spinning freely, then apply the front brake, the again spin the wheel to make sure the pads are coming off the rotors properly.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

fun while it lasted

Well I enjoyed my two rides. I will have to park it for awhile until I get all the parts and tools. I don't have any. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by SHEM View Post
                          Well I enjoyed my two rides. I will have to park it for awhile until I get all the parts and tools. I don't have any. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.
                          What's your location? There are probably forum members very close that would be happy to help you with the petcock and the oil change, maybe give the bike a good once over to check for any other problems you might not know about.

What azr said about the brakes is very valid, and very important.

Comment

You probably have the fuel petcock without the lever, so check it not on "prime" it should be horizontal, (prime will fill the carbs and keep filling the crankcase if there is a stuck float.)

If you do buy a new petcock get a new rubber gasket and 2 new washers as they may need replacing and better to have those parts on hand when you do the job, it only takes about 30 minutes to complete.

There is quite a few basic things you can do yourself if you have some tools and the desire.
                            It can get expensive to take it to a shop and many shops don't like working on these bikes as the young mechanics have never seen these bikes, or they can't be bothered with them.

Good luck.

Comment

Is this your Fuel Petcock?

If so it does have a lever, and you maybe able to purchase OEM parts to repair it, but if $82.00 is not too much for you then just buy a new unit if they old one is not working properly.

Shop online for OEM Fuel Cock parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS1000G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Comment

Working...
                              X