No announcement yet.

Cylinders - To hone or not to hone, that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can choose to not hone on your engine. Up to you.

I prefer not to take it apart to fix it again. Prefer not to have low compression. Prefer not to have blowby.
    Millions of mechanics and engineers all over the world for well over 100 years probably know what they are doing.

It's been working for me for a long time as well. I think I'll stick with what I know works.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Ton1959 View Post
      Yea, I've seen and read that article before. That article is the main reason I started this thread. Two schools of thought apparently.

Comment

Seems to me if there's a 1% chance it helps to hone I'm doing it, there is no down side.

I believe it's a lot more than 1%. I have had a few engines that had low compression, the rings were not worn, the cylinders were not worn, it just didn't seal. I don't know why, I always assumed it was the original owner babying it the first few miles, but I will never meet the original owner, so that's just a guess.

Hone it, put it together with the old rings, and run the **** out of it, now it's sealed, good compression, no blowby. I don't like blowby.

It works for me.

Interesting, spellcheck doesn't like blowby either.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X